how to establish ODBC connection

Posted by aaravindhantj on 06-May-2014 06:55

sir

what are the steps to establish ODBC connection and if we only use different front end then only we have to establish ODBC or though we use progress itself we have to establish ODBC just explain.

thank u sir

All Replies

Posted by Youssif Shanshiry on 06-May-2014 18:27

1.  Install the SQL Client Access at the client machine which can be downloaded from progress download center.

2.  Start the database on the database server.

3.  Define a DSN on the client machine for the database.

4.  Use the ODBC client of your choice to connect to the database.

Posted by Stephanie Seney on 07-May-2014 08:23

Youssif,

I'm assuming that in order to use ODBC you have to have the progress dataserver lic, correct?  Or does having just Enterprise DB & 4GL lic - work - allowing ODBC connectivitiy?

Where in the download center is the SQL client access found?

What is a DSN?

Sorry for the "dumb" questions, but I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Steph

[collapse] From: Youssif Shanshiry [mailto:bounce-yshanshi@community.progress.com]