Possible to see progress of a backup?

Posted by James Palmer on 25-Apr-2014 13:20

I'm performing a backup restore on a 300GB database and it's taking a long time. It's coming up for 4 hours since it stopped creating the extent files, and started populating them with the data. Is there any way I can work out how far it has got in terms of how much longer I can expect it to run? 

Proenv says "

OpenEdge Release 11.2 as of Wed Feb 13 19:01:30 EST 2013
Start of extending target DB to needed size... (9432)
This is a full backup of F:\DATABASE\LIVE\icmasliv.db. (6759)
This backup was taken Fri Apr 25 14:49:15 2014. (6760)
The blocksize is 8192. (6994)
It will require a minimum of 47665716 blocks to restore. (6763)
Start of restoring the target DB... (9433)" 

The log file says even less. 

Thanks in advance. 

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 13:30

Look at the time stamps on the extents?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 25-Apr-2014 13:40

1) Experience is a really good estimator -- just one of the many reasons that you should periodically restore backups.

2) You could look at the IO rate on the target device and then do some math -- a minimum of approximately 48M blocks 8k need to be restored -- if your disk subsystem is currently doing about 1,000 per second that would mean roughly 48,000 seconds in total...

3) Just guessing but this situation sounds like a demonstration of how easy it is to saturate the RAM cache on a SAN and the joyous results of doing so.

Posted by James Palmer on 25-Apr-2014 13:45

Yeah I remember I used to be able to look at the time stamps, Thomas, but for some reason they all were stuck at 16:30.

And thanks for your tips too Tom.

As it happens the process finished just as I hit Submit!

Posted by ChUIMonster on 25-Apr-2014 13:48

Windows has some very strange ideas  about when it is appropriate to update file timestamps.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 25-Apr-2014 20:09

You don't have to rely on Windows Explorer for that.  Run Resource Monitor (perfmon /res) and filter for the _dbutil.exe process.  You'll see which extent file(s) it is writing to, as well as throughput, disk queuing, etc.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 25-Apr-2014 20:11

There's also prorest -verbose.

Posted by James Palmer on 25-Apr-2014 20:45

Thanks Rob - really helpful.

Think I've got some disk performance issues. 6 hours to back up a 300GB database with -REPLTargetCreation :(

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 25-Apr-2014 22:08

I have a client where the nightly backup of the 350Gb DB takes 26 hours.  Does anyone see the problem?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 26-Apr-2014 08:48

I'm sure that the bean counters look at 110% utilization as a good thing -- after all, isn't the point to get the most out of your investment?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 26-Apr-2014 12:14

James,

Are you backup up to the same physical disk where the database resides?  What kind of write speed are you getting in MB/s?

Posted by James Palmer on 26-Apr-2014 12:24

Not sure if same disk. It is on the same box. I did it that way for speed sake. Usually the backups go straight to another server as we have a shortage of space on production. Once I had everything back up and running I did a full stem backup as usual and it took around three hours lol

James Palmer | Application Developer
Tel: 01253 785103

[collapse]From: Rob Fitzpatrick
Sent: ‎26/‎04/‎2014 18:14
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: Possible to see progress of a backup?

Reply by Rob Fitzpatrick

James,

Are you backup up to the same physical disk where the database resides?  What kind of write speed are you getting in MB/s?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Click here to report this email as spam.

Inenco, Ribble House, Ballam Road, Lytham, FY8 4TS. Company Reg No: 2435678 For further information on the Inenco Group Ltd please visit our web site at www.inenco.com

NOTE: This email and any information contained within or attached in a separate file is confidential and intended solely for the Individual to whom it is addressed. The information or data included is solely for the purpose indicated or previously agreed. Any information or data included with this e-mail remains the property of Inenco Group Ltd. and the recipient will refrain from utilising the information for any purpose other than that indicated and upon request will destroy the information and remove it from their records. Whilst this e-mail or attached documents may contain market information, this information is not provided as advice. Inenco do not accept any liability for any damages or losses of any kind suffered as a result of any action(s) taken as a result of the content of this e-mail or attachments. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Inenco Group Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. No warranties or assurances are made in relation to the safety and content of this e-mail and any attachments. No liability is accepted for any consequences arising from it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by telephone on +44 (0)1253 785000. [/collapse]

This thread is closed