Developer Studio and Samba

Posted by Brent Adonis on 31-Mar-2014 14:26

Does anyone have best practices or documentation on how to setup Developer Studio with Samba? I last used this pre 2000 and then it was simple to setup although it did have some performance issues.

Application source code is currently in RH Linux Server and would like to use OE 11.3 PDSOE for development but very reluctant to move application code from Linux Server to Windows Server.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 31-Mar-2014 14:34

Hi Brent,

My best practice is not to have the source on any kind of network share. J

Both for legacy code, but especially for OO and GUI for .NET code that’s typically a performance killer.

You should consider using some sort of SCM tool.

Regards,
Mike

Von: Brent Adonis [mailto:bounce-badonis@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 31. März 2014 21:27
An: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Betreff: Developer Studio and Samba

Thread created by Brent Adonis

Does anyone have best practices or documentation on how to setup Developer Studio with Samba? I last used this pre 2000 and then it was simple to setup although it did have some performance issues.

Application source code is currently in RH Linux Server and would like to use OE 11.3 PDSOE for development but very reluctant to move application code from Linux Server to Windows Server.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

All Replies

Hi Brent,

My best practice is not to have the source on any kind of network share. J

Both for legacy code, but especially for OO and GUI for .NET code that’s typically a performance killer.

You should consider using some sort of SCM tool.

Regards,
Mike

Von: Brent Adonis [mailto:bounce-badonis@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 31. März 2014 21:27
An: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Betreff: Developer Studio and Samba

Thread created by Brent Adonis

And it's not only my POV:

community.progress.com/.../35428.aspx

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 31-Mar-2014 14:35

I'm not really sure what "Best Practice" there is.  You can share a Samba folder on Windows and use it just like any other shared folder.  The only hiccup might be with file permissions.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 31-Mar-2014 14:37

If there's is really no alternative to Samba and shared drives, make sure that only the projects reside on the network - not the workspace (.metadata) folder.

Accessing those via network makes performance even worse.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 31-Mar-2014 14:44

PSC has addressed some of the performance issues but there is still room for improvement. That being said, it’s not really that much of a performance killer.  It is quite typical for businesses to store company resources on network shares (that is the point of network shares) so the blanket advice of “you shouldn’t use a network share”  is not always practical.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 31-Mar-2014 14:49

Fact is with SCM tools such as Roundtable Team you can easily avoid network shares and make PDSOE work faster.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 31-Mar-2014 14:59

Yes, that is true. J

However, network shares should not be a bottleneck.  The only issue with shares in the PROPATH seems to be the tooling process. Compiling and such doesn’t seem to have a problem with it.

[collapse]
From: Mike Fechner [mailto:bounce-mikefechner@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:50 PM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: AW: Developer Studio and Samba

Reply by Mike Fechner

Fact is with SCM tools such as Roundtable Team you can easily avoid network shares and make PDSOE work faster.

[/collapse]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 31-Mar-2014 15:09

We seem to have very different experience here.

Compiling is remarkably slower and the initializing OpenEdge tooling becomes a real show stopper over network. I am speaking about projects with a couple of 1.000 classes and a couple of 10.000 procedures.

=

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 31-Mar-2014 16:56

No, the tooling is a bit slow for a huge tree. The new “Exclude from tooling” PROPATH preference has helped some though.

I do wish that the tooling were a bit smarter about it. I’m not sure how it scans, but I have seen it spend lots of time on directories that contain nothing needing to be tooled.

I’ve not seen performance issues with compiling though.

[collapse]
From: Mike Fechner [mailto:bounce-mikefechner@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: Developer Studio and Samba

Reply by Mike Fechner
We seem to have very different experience here.

Compiling is remarkably slower and the initializing OpenEdge tooling becomes a real show stopper over network. I am speaking about projects with a couple of 1.000 classes and a couple of 10.000 procedures.

=

[/collapse]

Posted by Matt Baker on 31-Mar-2014 20:51

My comments about AST building and how it looks for include files is separate with the file scanning features (Updating openedge tooling message...).  Its been a long time since I've touched that code and I was only partially involved in it like 5 years ago.  I don't pretend to know what all its doing anymore.  I do know the file scanning is related to class cache used to assist with tooling

Posted by James Palmer on 01-Apr-2014 03:23

[mention:15d155137bc94f50aa3f3ce56da063bf:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] out of interest how does one decide what directories can be excluded from Tooling? In other words I suppose, what is Tooling?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 01-Apr-2014 08:29

If you look at a PROPATH entry of an OE project, there is a new option called “Exclude from OE Tooling”. If you select that, that PROPATH entry will not be scanned during the tooling process. I’m not sure what all goes on during the tooling process, but I think building the class cache is part of it.

[collapse]
From: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:24 AM
Subject: RE: Developer Studio and Samba

Reply by James Palmer

Jeff Ledbetter out of interest how does one decide what directories can be excluded from Tooling? In other words I suppose, what is Tooling?

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 01-Apr-2014 08:33

Thanks Jeff. I'll have a look into it.

This thread is closed