tab analysis

Posted by balaji on 31-Mar-2014 09:47

when i use database tabanalys and redirect the out to an excel file i get overlaped fields i donot know how to set the each data in each fields so i can compare and view

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 31-Mar-2014 18:14

Stephanie,

I just use an ABL program to input from a db/tabanalys file and import line by line.  The data you care about (table stats) is bracketed by "RECORD BLOCK SUMMARY" and "RM block(s) found in the database.".  The table line items begin with "PUB.", so you can import those and discard the rest.  Note that long table names can cause a line wrap so you have to account for that.  Export the data to a .csv file and from there it's easy to import into Excel.

Note that once you get to 11.x there are a few format changes in the report, e.g. some changes for multi-tenancy and the fact that system tables are now prefixed with "PUB.".  So in that case application tables begin with "PUB." but not with "PUB._".

balaji,

If you can post a bit more detail about what you have tried (maybe including a relevant snippet of code) and what issues or errors you're seeing then we may be able to help.

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 31-Mar-2014 09:51

What command are you using to create the output? And what do you mean by overlapped fields? Can you supply a screenshot at all?

Posted by James Palmer on 31-Mar-2014 09:52

Oh and whilst you're at it, your Progress version might be useful too :)

Posted by Stephanie Seney on 31-Mar-2014 13:23

Very curious, how are you redirecting the output to Excel.  Are you using Windows or parsing thru a Unix tool to do this?  I would love to be able to take the output of our Db analysis/table analysis and create Excel docs to help track trends of some of our tables & DBs...but we're CHUI only - so if you would be so kind to explain how you're doing this, that would be wonderful.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Seney, DBA/Programmer
Marc Glassman, Inc.
www.marcs.com
216-265-7700 x3106

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 31-Mar-2014 15:11

>  I would love to be able to take the output of our Db analysis/table analysis and create Excel docs to help track trends

> of some of our tables & DBs...

Not that it helps with the OP or right now, but 11.4 db/tab analysis has or rather will have an output to csv.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 31-Mar-2014 18:14

Stephanie,

I just use an ABL program to input from a db/tabanalys file and import line by line.  The data you care about (table stats) is bracketed by "RECORD BLOCK SUMMARY" and "RM block(s) found in the database.".  The table line items begin with "PUB.", so you can import those and discard the rest.  Note that long table names can cause a line wrap so you have to account for that.  Export the data to a .csv file and from there it's easy to import into Excel.

Note that once you get to 11.x there are a few format changes in the report, e.g. some changes for multi-tenancy and the fact that system tables are now prefixed with "PUB.".  So in that case application tables begin with "PUB." but not with "PUB._".

balaji,

If you can post a bit more detail about what you have tried (maybe including a relevant snippet of code) and what issues or errors you're seeing then we may be able to help.

Posted by andrew.may on 01-Apr-2014 04:34

Stephanie,

In a previous role, I've successfully used a set of libraries from Alon Blich (who wrote the "Progress Standard Libraries" that you may have seen on OEHive) to do output to Excel from CHUI code.

The libraries work by writing natively in the Office Open XML format without needing to run an instance of Excel.

We had no problems in producing rich ".xlsx" Excel files on our Linux servers (e.g. inserting Progress data into spreadsheets with pivot tables/graphing).

The library project itself seems to be no longer visible on OEHive, I suggest contacting Alon to ask about it www.linkedin.com/.../alonblich

Posted by Stephanie Seney on 01-Apr-2014 08:03

Andrew,

Thanks, when I have time I'll see if the source is still available for this.  I manually monitor many things currently about our 16 DBs.  It's just getting increasingly time consuming to do so manually.

Stephanie 

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 01-Apr-2014 08:06

>  I manually monitor many things currently about our 16 DBs.  It's just getting increasingly time consuming to do so manually.

Have you looked at a commercial solution like OE Management or ProMonitor?  

Posted by Stephanie Seney on 01-Apr-2014 08:19

Rob,

All my tracking over the past 20 years has been manually done, it's just getting much harder to manually take the data from text file to Exel.  It would be nice if I could automate some of the manual tracking that I currently do today.  This would mean not just creating an Excel file, but updating an existing one daily.  So far with all the current "freeware/shareware" ABL/Excel code I've found none seem to have the ability to add to an Excel sheet.

Thanks for the information about some of the v11 changes.  Currently, I already grep for 'PUB' so that I get just the application tables that I wish to track by DB...which again, I do manually.

XML & Excel, SAX & DOM are not features I've used much in my ABL coding...until recently.  The shareware/freeware program I pulled off OEhive, I even modified slightly to provide a bit more flexability in how it created a file.  Given time, I'm sure I'll become a bit more familiar - but that learning is in my "spare" time or when I'm at a standstill on a project...so slow going.

Steph

Posted by olivier.dunemann on 01-Apr-2014 08:49

> The library project itself seems to be no longer visible on OEHive [...]

www.oehive.org/.../lib

Enjoy!

Posted by andrew.may on 01-Apr-2014 09:46

When we used the libraries in our product, we ended up purchasing a licence that let us modify the source & keep our modifications closed.

I don't know which direction Alon took with it in the end.

I believe it might have been turned into a closed-source commercial offering.

I would recommend contacting Alon for details - he was very approachable when I was dealing with him

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 01-Apr-2014 10:11

Alon *was* going to go commercial, but it is a long time since that was supposed to happen, so I imagine he has been busy.

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 02-Apr-2014 09:30

Has anybody a copy of the now unavailable source code of OEHive?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Apr-2014 09:37

Alon Blich <alonblich@gmail.com>

This thread is closed