Metaschema documentation

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Mar-2014 12:14

I'm currently poking around in the metaschema, which I haven't done in a while and I am seeing a bunch of stuff that I don't remember having seen before.   I don't suppose all this is documented anywhere?

For example, there are a whole bunch of fields in _Field that start with "For".  Does this have to do with DataServer schema?  Or what?

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 19-Mar-2014 13:00
Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Mar-2014 13:09

That would be a start ... and should have been done a long time ago, but some real documentation wouldn't hurt.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Mar-2014 13:53

The fields in _Field ending in SA are another group with mysterious purpose, especially with widths of "X(6)"

Posted by gus on 20-Mar-2014 08:41

yes.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 09:09

Yes to the DataServer question?  Or yes to it is documented "somewhere"?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 20-Mar-2014 09:13

Yes it's mysterious. :)

If I recall the _File._For-* fields are used by dataservers.  I assume it's the same for _Field._For-* as well.

Posted by Peter Judge on 20-Mar-2014 09:17

I have a vague recollection that (at least some of) this stuff was documented in the Engine Crew/Room Monographs that were once upon a time on the PEG. They seem not to be there any more though.

But to the best of my knowledge, the metaschema was never formally documented (deliberately, IIRC).

-- peter

[collapse]
From: Rob Fitzpatrick [mailto:bounce-robfsit@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, 20 March, 2014 10:13
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: Metaschema documentation

Reply by Rob Fitzpatrick

Yes it's mysterious. :)

If I recall the _File._For-* fields are used by dataservers.  I assume it's the same for _Field._For-* as well.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 09:22

Lack of documentation is not friendly to tool developers like myself.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 20-Mar-2014 09:51

[quote user="Thomas Mercer-Hursh"]

The fields in _Field ending in SA are another group with mysterious purpose, especially with widths of "X(6)"

[/quote]

SA = String Attribute - should it be U / T30 etc 

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 10:06

How about those which follow the pattern _Has-Ccnstrs for _File?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 10:22

The other question, which I recognize that no one probably has the answer to, is whether these fields are actually used, regardless of what they are theoretically for.   If 99% of all databases will never have anything non-default in the field, then there is little reason for me, as a tool creator, to spend any effort supporting them.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 10:28

Are the -MiscN fields assumed to be for users or do PSC products use them?  How about ResN fields?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 10:30

And Attributes.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 20-Mar-2014 11:58

[quote user="Thomas Mercer-Hursh"]

The other question, which I recognize that no one probably has the answer to, is whether these fields are actually used, regardless of what they are theoretically for.   If 99% of all databases will never have anything non-default in the field, then there is little reason for me, as a tool creator, to spend any effort supporting them.[/quote]

The SA fields are used when compiling with languages option and with translation database connected.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 12:08

And, what percentage of databases *is* that? ... although, of course, my question is about all of the fields.

There is probably a hierarchy of

* Used always

* Used in combination with X where X = TranMan, DataServer, or whatever

* Used in some odd special circumstances

* Used in some toolset, somewhere

* Used never.

But, how would one know what that hierarchy is, particularly when the meaning of many of the fields is so obscure?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 20-Mar-2014 12:15

But, how would one know what that hierarchy is, particularly when the meaning of many of the fields is so obscure?”

Dig through the DataAdmin and DataDictionary source..

[collapse]
From: Thomas Mercer-Hursh [mailto:bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:09 AM

RE: Metaschema documentation
Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

And, what percentage of databases *is* that? ... although, of course, my question is about all of the fields.

There is probably a hierarchy of

* Used always

* Used in combination with X where X = TranMan, DataServer, or whatever

* Used in some odd special circumstances

* Used in some toolset, somewhere

* Used never.

But, how would one know what that hierarchy is, particularly when the meaning of many of the fields is so obscure?

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 12:31

If fields are used in connection with other products like TranMan, they may not be reflected there at all.

Besides, is "read the source" what you would expect as documentation of application schema?  Is it how one understands the schema of Roundtable?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 20-Mar-2014 12:40

No, that’s not what I would necessarily expect of application schema (assuming customers *want* to understand the schema) but I’m not sure that OE meta-schema falls into that category. I was merely suggesting that as a way to find your answers

[collapse]
From: Thomas Mercer-Hursh [mailto:bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:31 AM

Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

If fields are used in connection with other products like TranMan, they may not be reflected there at all.

Besides, is "read the source" what you would expect as documentation of application schema?  Is it how one understands the schema of Roundtable?

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 12:48

Customer users rarely have any interest in the schema unless they are using a reporting tool.  But, customer *developers* are very often needing to understand the schema in order to do modifications and additions to the software.  Anyone who has an interest in tool building has an interest in the schema related to those tools.  

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 21-Mar-2014 09:27

As Peter mentioned, the old Engine Crew monographs can still be viewed here:

http://www.fast4gl.com/downloads/monographs/

A lot has changed in the last 16 years so take what you read there with a grain of salt or three.  Anyway, number 17 does contain a fair bit of metaschema information that you likely won't find elsewhere.  The information, if true, does answer some of Thomas' previous questions.

Posted by Peter Judge on 21-Mar-2014 09:33

Thanks Rob - I'm always glad to see that my mind is not, in fact, going. Especially on a Friday.

;)

-- peter

[collapse]
From: Rob Fitzpatrick [mailto:bounce-robfsit@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, 21 March, 2014 10:28

Reply by Rob Fitzpatrick

As Peter mentioned, the old Engine Crew monographs can still be viewed here:

http://www.fast4gl.com/downloads/monographs/

A lot has changed in the last 16 years so take what you read there with a grain of salt or three.  Anyway, number 17 does contain a fair bit of metaschema information that you likely won't find elsewhere.  The information, if true, does answer some of Thomas' previous questions.

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Mar-2014 09:47

Definitely useful.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Mar-2014 11:02

Just think what an enhancement it would be to simply put Gus's descriptions of each field in the _Help for that field!

Posted by gus on 08-May-2014 12:18

I posted a slide deck from a talk i did a few years ago, that contains some general information about the metadata tables and some examples of data you can get from them. It is in the OpenEdge RDBMS Wiki section. I leave finding it as an exercise for the reader. Shouldn't be too hard.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 08-May-2014 12:30

Another exercise: on the BravePoint web site there is a video of Gus delivering this talk at the Virtual Interchange 2010 conference.  With a bonus 5 minutes of Q&A.  :)

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 08-May-2014 12:46
This thread is closed