Metaschema documentation

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Mar-2014 12:14

I'm currently poking around in the metaschema, which I haven't done in a while and I am seeing a bunch of stuff that I don't remember having seen before.   I don't suppose all this is documented anywhere?

For example, there are a whole bunch of fields in _Field that start with "For".  Does this have to do with DataServer schema?  Or what?

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 19-Mar-2014 13:00
Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Mar-2014 13:09

That would be a start ... and should have been done a long time ago, but some real documentation wouldn't hurt.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Mar-2014 13:53

The fields in _Field ending in SA are another group with mysterious purpose, especially with widths of "X(6)"

Posted by gus on 20-Mar-2014 08:41

yes.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2014 09:09

Yes to the DataServer question?  Or yes to it is documented "somewhere"?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 20-Mar-2014 09:13

Yes it's mysterious. :)

If I recall the _File._For-* fields are used by dataservers.  I assume it's the same for _Field._For-* as well.

Posted by Peter Judge on 20-Mar-2014 09:17

I have a vague recollection that (at least some of) this stuff was documented in the Engine Crew/Room Monographs that were once upon a time on the PEG. They seem not to be there any more though.

But to the best of my knowledge, the metaschema was never formally documented (deliberately, IIRC).

-- peter

[collapse]