Migrate OS of a OE server

Posted by rafmas on 05-Feb-2014 05:38

Hi!

Our database server is currently on a HPUX server.

We need to update the server. We are looking for alternatives to HPUX. What is the best alternative to it (Linux RedHat, Linux Centos or Windows) ? 

Our database isn't big (less than 10Gb), we are a small business .

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 05-Feb-2014 08:29

Red Hat and CentOS are essentially the same thing. If you want to pay for support (a few hundred dollars a year - well worth it) go with RHEL.  If you manage and support everything in house and don't care too much about patches, then go with CentOS.

My personal opinion: pay the less-than-a-thousand-dollars-a-year and go with RHEL.

All Replies

Posted by bnath on 05-Feb-2014 06:15

Linux RedHat should be good option.

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 05-Feb-2014 08:03

We migrated from Solaris to Suse and then to Red Hat. Suse was working fine but our hosting company didn't provide management of it so we switched to Red Hat.

From Solaris to Suse we did dump & load to migrate and when moving to Red Hat we only restored a backup. I can recommend both Suse and Red Hat. It's really up to your personal taste and/or what fits in your existing environment.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 05-Feb-2014 08:29

Red Hat and CentOS are essentially the same thing. If you want to pay for support (a few hundred dollars a year - well worth it) go with RHEL.  If you manage and support everything in house and don't care too much about patches, then go with CentOS.

My personal opinion: pay the less-than-a-thousand-dollars-a-year and go with RHEL.

Posted by rafmas on 06-Feb-2014 09:10

Thank's to all!

This thread is closed