OE Explorer Settings Map to -Parameters

Posted by bbrennan on 04-Feb-2014 11:08

Is there documentation that equates the various fill in fields found in OE Explorer to the actual parameters used behind the scenes?  It would be great if the field in OE Explorer referenced the parameter.  Some are referenced but most are not.

For example, on the database configuration page there is a block of entries called General.  Here is a list of fields and what I guess the parameter to be. 

Blocks in database buffers:  -B
Hash table entries: -hash
Lock table entries: -L
Max users:     -n
Max servers:   -Mn

Having used scripts and command lines since the stone ages, the GUI takes some effort to implement.  Just figured I can't be the only one to have felt this frustration.  Perhaps it has been documented and I am failing with the search or it might be taken as a friendly documentation/product enhancement.  The third option being that only I am challenged which is entirely possible.

Regards

Bob Brennan

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 04-Feb-2014 13:09

Bob, you are definitely not the only one challenged by this.  I think every parameter in the OEM/OEE should have the associated parameter shown in the UI, e.g. brackets after the description.  Like "Blocks in database buffers (-B): _____"

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 04-Feb-2014 13:13

There is no such document of which I am aware.  But if you make the effort of putting all the OEE fields in an XLS (cuz I don't have one handy), then I will make the effort of adding the equivalent startup parameter in an adjacent column.

Posted by Roberta Miller on 04-Feb-2014 15:20

You didn't miss it -- there is no such mapping in the documentation. Article 000001492, How do the parameters in the Progress Explorer compare with standard Progress database server parameters contains a mapping of database parameters to the matching database configuration fields in Progress Explorer, but it doesn't have any of the properties for AppServers, WebSpeed brokers, or anything else in ubroker.properties. OpenEdge Explorer has replaced Progress Explorer as of OE 11, but the layout is similar enough that this article may be of interest.

If you would like to suggest an enhancement either to the documentation or to the OE Explorer interface, please submit an Idea at https://community.progress.com/businessusers/i/openedge_database_enhancements_-_tell_us_what_youd_like_to_see/default.aspx. Other OpenEdge users who would like to have this information can vote for it too.  Thanks for letting us know!

This thread is closed