How to find OpenEdge DBA for HP-Unix

Posted by Admin on 02-Nov-2006 11:01

I am looking for OpenEdge DBA with 3-5 year experience in HP-Unix environment. If you know of anyone, please let me know. Thanks.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Nov-2006 11:04

I wouldn't be too concerned about the HP part. Anyone who has done any Unix DBA will know most of all that is needed and can learn anything HP specific. From what I hear, AIX is the only really odd one, and even then I would be more concerned with knowing about Progress than the OS.

Posted by Admin on 02-Nov-2006 11:25

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where should I post this position? Is there any specific website where OpenEdge DBA go and look for a job?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Nov-2006 11:36

PEG has a jobs list. It costs, but not much. Other than that, probably recruiters.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 02-Nov-2006 13:20

If he's posting here, he could at least post where he is so if someone's from that area they could respond.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Nov-2006 13:23

Do you mean that someone wouldn't go anywhere just for the opportunity to be a Progress DBA?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 02-Nov-2006 13:32

Do you mean that someone wouldn't go anywhere just

for the opportunity to be a Progress DBA?

Well, Tom might - if the price was right!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Nov-2006 13:42

Oh, he would come for a visit, but not to stay. 3-5 years experience doesn't exactly fit Tom!

Of course, one has to wonder how many sites really need a full time Progress DBA. With rare exceptions, surely there isn't enough work to actually keep a person busy full time unless they create lots of makework tasks ... like one site I heard of that didn't believe that a Progress database could go through a daylight savings time change without issues so they stopped and restarted every DB by hand, and they had quite a few Seems to me like being a Progress DBA is a lot like those old Maytag repairman commercials.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 02-Nov-2006 21:20

I would imagine it's matter of managing how to I get the most out of a given db / hardware configuration, data replication, and disaster recovery. At least, that's the impression I get from most peg.dba questions.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 06-Nov-2006 18:43

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where should I post

this position? Is there any specific website where

OpenEdge DBA go and look for a job?

The PEG jobs list is your best bet. Contact Greg Higgins, aka pegmgr@peg.com, to run a job posting. Don't just post it to the open PEG forums -- that gets you banned for life (PEG members don't like being spammed...)

Posted by ChUIMonster on 06-Nov-2006 18:51

Oh, he would come for a visit, but not to stay. 3-5

years experience doesn't exactly fit Tom!

Of course, one has to wonder how many sites really

need a full time Progress DBA. With rare exceptions,

surely there isn't enough work to actually keep a

person busy...

It depends. There are a lot more big sites than you might guess. And there is a lot to be done at those sites. On the other hand a lot of that "stuff" isn't necessarily what a DBA from some other database background would consider "dba" work. It often covers a pretty broad set of responsibilities from normal dba stuff to, application specific management tasks, operating system administration, storage subsystem management, data security, networking and even coding. It all really depends on the need.

So, yes, it would be helpful if the original poster provided a few more details about the job.

And, yes, I'm always willing to take a trip!

Posted by Admin on 07-Nov-2006 14:05

Are you looking for off-site DBA?

This thread is closed