How to determine what kind of bandwidth your db is using on

Posted by Admin on 07-Nov-2006 17:14

Is there a way to see what the overhead is on a AIX server running 5.1, and Progress 9.1D? We use telnet and self-serivce clients, as well as some remote clients. Any tools I can use to monitor it and see what the traffic is like?

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 07-Nov-2006 18:21

Bandwidth of what? The disk subsystem? The CPU? The network?

Have you looked at ProTOP?

Posted by vinod_home on 09-Nov-2006 09:10

topas on AIX

Posted by Admin on 09-Nov-2006 13:00

Hi Vinod...how's it going? I know about topas...and i guess this would be a good place to look since it looks at overall network in/out KBPS. Is there a way to see how much network traffic is being used by database on the same server?

When I look at topas, at Network are my definitions below correct?

KBPS = Kilo bits per second

I-PACK = In packets?

O-Pack = Out packets?

KB-In = Kilo bytes in to server

KB-Out = Kilo bytes out to user

What heading should I be looking at to determine average bandwith of the server's usage? Also, is there a way to trend just the Network part running another AIX command so I can capture it?

Seperate question: is it save to expand the paging to disk while Progress databases are up on AIX 5.1? I'm hitting 30% Free for Paging space.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Nov-2006 13:09

Is this academic curiosity or do you have a problem you are trying to solve? If you provide more info on the problem, we are likely to have more detailed and possibly more appropriate answers.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 11-Nov-2006 09:26

ProTop has a module that extracts network utilization from the AIX netstat command. That may provide the insight that you're looking for.

For general OS monitoring on AIX I prefer "nmon" over Topas.

If you're interested in the activity of telnet users you might want to also consider "sar -y".

This thread is closed