OpenEdge 10.1A user administration and JDBC

Posted by Admin on 07-Dec-2007 06:54

Hello everyone,

I'm writing software which needs to access an OpenEdge database. I want to do this using JDBC.

I have found the JDBC driver and the port to connect to, however whathever user/connection settings I use all of them result in the same username/password incorrect message.

I have no experience with OpenEdge and I have no idea how to see which users have what access to what database and with which credentials.

When I try to use the SQLExplorer tool it says 'No database found at jdbc:datadirect://localhost:12601;databaseName=test'

When I try to use the SQuireL SQL application it says: Progress database: Access denied(Authorisation failed)

using exactly the same connection settings...

I can connect to the database using the data administration tool, and selecting the .db file (and optionally using port 12600 at TCP). However, I have no rights to view change any security settings. If I use 12601 it say "only SQL clients allowed on this broker"

The username and password provided to me to connect are exactly the same as used when connecting a remote client application. However, I have no idea which technology is used by this remote application.

- I assumed the openEdge JDBC driver should be connected to the SQL service port, is this correct?

- Where can I administrate or view the users which have access using JDBC, or are these equal to for example the windows users?

I also have problems using the Progress Explorer. I created a database and it says it can't connect to the default port (20931), however the administration service is clearly running. It says "Unable to connect to Admin Service. Ensure Admin Server is Running. (8336)".

If anyone can point me into some direction where to look, I'd be very greatfull! Thanks!

Regards,

Vincent

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 07-Dec-2007 11:19

"Solution 20143 "Basic Guide to Defining Progress SQL-92 Database Permissions & Security" offers SQL-92 developers a primer in explaining how the SQL-92 security works and how to troubleshoot access denied (Authorization failed) error messages. Visit the Knowledge Center and view solution 20143 for details."

This thread is closed