OpenEdge Replication 10.1B

Posted by robert.jackson on 18-Jun-2008 01:29

I'm just about to begin configuring OpenEdge Replication between 2 identically configured Sun T2000 servers (SPARC) running Solaris 10 (64-bit).

Each server has 3 NIC's configured. The first 2 are setup for Multipathing (Teaming) so that if one NIC dies, the server still has access to the network. The 3rd NIC on each has a crossover cable attached, thus giving a direct connection between the servers.

What I want to be able to do is have OpenEdge Replication traffic pass between the 3rd NIC's on each server thus minimizing any potential performance hit on the LAN.

My questions are: Is this possible? and How do I achieve this?

TIA.

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Jun-2008 06:26

Posted by robert.jackson on 18-Jun-2008 07:59

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. As I'm the network admin (as well), that'll be me. I was looking for a few pointers specifically on how to get the traffic to pass between the directly connected NIC's.

Multipathing has been set up with the 2 other NIC's. Both are connected to the network in case one NIC dies and therefore could not be used under this scenario as I don't want to physically have to swap Cat5 cables (the servers are located in a Data Center 50 miles from my present location).

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Jun-2008 08:08

Posted by robert.jackson on 18-Jun-2008 10:41

NICs are already set up and working (can FTP between them via direct connection - no surprise its a bit speedy!). It's really now a question of the mechanics of the Replication set up to pass traffic over the direct connection.

Posted by jtownsen on 19-Jun-2008 02:48

I'm not quite sure where you issue is. I'm assuming that your 2 multi-pathing NICs have an IP address on a different subnet to you single NIC with the cross-over cable. You should be able to just specify the IP address of the single NIC.

Perhaps you can tell us the network config of each of the NIC's?

Posted by robert.jackson on 19-Jun-2008 03:38

Hi Jamie,

No your assumption of the NIC set-up is correct. Being new to Replication set up I just wanted to be sure that Replication traffic coming from the source would be forced out through the single and directly connected NIC.

Many thanks.

Posted by jtownsen on 19-Jun-2008 03:59

One way to be sure is to make sure that there's only one possible route to the target machine and that it's through the single NIC.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Jun-2008 11:04

I.e., this is really a network routing issue, not a replication issue.

This thread is closed