Interesting DBA KB on manual striping

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 17-Mar-2009 08:11

A rather "interesting" KB was posted here:

ID: P142916

Title: "Can I stripe the database extents evenly across the same number of hard drives and put all of the tables into the same Areas?"

http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/jsp/AnswerControls.jsp?directSolutionLink=1&tabs=true&docPropValue=p142916

I thought one of the DBA professionals here would like to comment on that KB and educate the original poster.

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 18-Mar-2009 07:13

Since I'm not an employee and therefore I don't have to couch everything in careful, offend nobody, vendor neutral terms etc, etc let me translate:

Yes, you can try to do it. But it will be utterly ineffective.

You shouldn't waste any time trying to manually stripe or balance IO by placing db extents on particular disks. It is a fool's errand. Pursuing this technique is a massive waste of time and completely misses the point of having storage areas and db extents. Storage areas and extents are not there so that you can improve performance by manually placing extents on various drives. They exist to help you manage other database characteristics like space allocation and rows per block.

The database provides no features whatsoever to balance IO. Nor should it. That is an OS and disk subsystem function.

The database does, however, provide many features to help you reduce IO. Some of them are potentially related to what you put into a storage area and how you configure those areas. Pursuing those features is an excellent use of your time. The details vary depending on your circumstances but, in general; use type 2 areas, use large cluster sizes and pay attention to rows per block as it relates to your data.

This thread is closed