AppServer vs resolv.conf file

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 22-Sep-2009 09:25

Hi!

In a file resolv.conf  were registered three DNS. One of them suddenly has died, but the file resolv.conf at once not "was cleaned".
In result i has not started AppServer.
The decision on cleanup   in resolv.conf, was casual, i.e. while searched for the reason why are not started AppServer, have seen on this file, and i has cleaned from  file the description of  "dead" DNS.
Then AppServer began to be started normally.

My questions:

How AppServer uses a file resolv.conf?

It is possible to avoid similar problems, with the help of any adjustments (Progress or OS) in future?

All Replies

Posted by jerryaydalla on 22-Sep-2009 20:32

I don't think appserver uses resolv.conf directly, but rather, uses whatever method the OS provides for resolution. In our case, our DNS just don't die.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 23-Sep-2009 07:07

The AppServer does not interact with the resolv.conf file directly.  The AppServer simply makes a system call like getHostName.  If there is a problem in your DNS or network and the getHostName call fails the AppServer will not start.  This works the same as any application running on your machine that requires network access.

You did not list errors from the AppServer broker or server files ($WRKDIR/brokername.broker.log and $WRKDIR/brokername.server.log), but this is where I would have expected an error message.

Regards, Roy

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 24-Sep-2009 00:14

Thank You! Regrettably  did not remain the log files for that period.

But, i have one more question. Below it is processes of AppServer

root 430160      1   0 08:45:42      -  0:05 /usr/java5_64/jre/bin/java  -classpath  /pro10c/dlc/jre/i18n.jar:/usr/java5_64/lib/tools.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/progress.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/mgmt_client.jar  -DInstall.Dir=/pro10c/dlc -Djava.security.policy=/pro10c/dlc/java/java.policy  -DCanonicalName=local.localhost:ID=NameServer  com.progress.nameserver.NameServer -i NS1 -r rmi://node2b1:20931/NS1 -f  /pro10c/dlc/properties/ubroker.properties

root 741824       1   0 08:45:30      -  0:14 /usr/java5_64/jre/bin/java -classpath  /pro10c/dlc/jre/i18n.jar:/usr/java5_64/lib/tools.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/progress.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/mgmt_client.jar  -DInstall.Dir=/pro10c/dlc -Djava.security.policy=/pro10c/dlc/java/java.policy  -DCanonicalName=local.localhost:ID=AppServer  com.progress.ubroker.broker.ubroker -t AS -i BankierTrans -r  rmi://node2b1:20931/BankierTrans -f  /pro10c/dlc/properties/ubroker.properties

root 745956       1   2 08:45:19      -  0:22 /usr/java5_64/jre/bin/java  -Djava.class.path=/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/jmxri.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/mgmt_agent.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/mgmt_client.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/mgmt_config.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/sonic_Client.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/progress.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/osmetrics.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/jdbc.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/base.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/openedge.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/util.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/soap.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/prorepl.jar:/pro10c/dlc/java/ext/wsdl4j.jar  -Djava.assistive=ON -Dadmsrv.jvm=/usr/java5_64/jre/bin/java  -Dibm.signalhandling.rs=false -Dcom.ibm.oti.configuration=scar  -Djava.command=java -Duser.country=US -DWork.Dir=/usr/wrk  -Djava.fullversion=J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 AIX ppc64-64 j9vmap6423-20070426 (JIT  enabled)?J9VM - 20070420_12448_BHdSMr?JIT  - 20070419_1806_r8?GC   - 200704_19  -Dcom.ibm.vm.bitmode=64 -Dcom.ibm.util.extralibs.properties= -Duser.variant=  -Dsun.java2d.fontpath= -Djava.jcl.version=20070511 -Dsun.jnu.encoding=ISO8859-1  -Djxe.current.romimage.version=9  -Dcom.ibm.oti.vm.bootstrap.library.path=/usr/java5_64/jre/bin  -Dcom.ibm.cpu.endian=big -Dibm.system.encoding=ISO8859-1 -Dinvokedviajava=  -Djava.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory=java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferencesFactory  -Dcom.ibm.oti.vm.library.version=23  -Djava.security.policy=/pro10c/dlc/java/java.policy -Dfile.encoding=ISO8859-1  -Dsun.arch.data.model=64 -Dibm.signalhandling.sigint=true  -Dcom.ibm.oti.jcl.build=20070405_1655 -DInstall.Dir=/pro10c/dlc  -Djxe.lowest.romimage.version=9 -Djvmstart.debug=0 -Djava.compiler=j9jit23  -Dibm.signalhandling.sigchain=true  com.progress.chimera.adminserver.AdminServerStarter

Why need the parameters, chosen by bolds?

I can their change?

If can, that where and as?

Posted by Roy Ellis on 28-Sep-2009 08:10

No most of what you had bolded cannot be changed, they are set values passed to JAVA process to start and run them correctly.

Identify the type of process to be run and cannot be changed:

-DCanonicalName=local.localhost:ID=NameServer
-DCanonicalName=local.localhost:ID=AppServer -t AS
Identify the main class to be run and cannot be changed:
com.progress.nameserver.NameServer
com.progress.ubroker.broker.ubroker
com.progress.chimera.adminserver.AdminServerStarter
Identify the instance name and are determined by the value in the ubroker.properties file:
[NameServer.NS1] - ubroker.properties file value
-i NS1
[UBroker.AS.BrankierTrans] - ubroker.properties file value
-i BankierTrans
Identify the RMI port for communication with the AdminServer and is determined at AdminServer startup:
-r rmi://node2b1:20931/NS1
-r  rmi://node2b1:20931/BankierTrans
Is the location of the ubroker.properties file and can be modified from the default location - see the kbase for version specific instructions on how to change:
-f  /pro10c/dlc/properties/ubroker.properties
Not sure why you would want to change these values, do you have a specific reason?

This thread is closed