Create .st file alternatives

Posted by ijazbof on 09-Sep-2009 07:36

Hi:

I want to know what are the alternatives to create an .st file. Is it possible to create the .st file if you do not have physical direct access to the .db file? for instance, you can connect to the database from a progress tool like Data Administration or Data Dictionary. I can see the storage areas report, but I see no tool to create the actual .st file. What I want to do is create a database using the .st to add the missing storage areas. With prostrct I can not do it because I do not have access to the .db file, etc.

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Sep-2009 12:26

You can create a .st file with any text editor.

Creating an alternative implies that you have an alternative strategy.  It is possible that someone has a tool which matches your strategy and creates a suitable .st file but without knowing what that strategy is it is difficult to suggest anything specific.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Sep-2009 12:37

The tool to create the .st file for what is already there is prostrct list.

Posted by ijazbof on 09-Sep-2009 12:47

PROSTRCT list requires access to the physical .db file. I do not have access to the file.

Posted by ijazbof on 09-Sep-2009 12:51

I know I can create a .st file with a text editor. I want an alternate method to create the .st file from an already existent database. So having this .st file I can apply it to an empty database for instance. I know that is possible to copy the already existent .st file over. I just want to know what alternatives exist when I do not have access to the physical .db file. I already specified this in my original post.

Posted by Admin on 09-Sep-2009 12:52

I think he was seeking a way to load the st file remotely, whith no OS

prompt access. I guess there is no such tool.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Sep-2009 13:12

I'm confused.

You want to create it *based on* a database that you do not have access to.

To me that seems to be a contradiction.  If you have access to the database it is easy.

If you do not have access to the database then what do you expect to base your alternative on?

Also - in what way is the alternative expected to be different from what prostrct list creates?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Sep-2009 13:39

Somebody must have access.  Can't they make the .st for you?

Something doesn't make a lot of sense here.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Sep-2009 14:17

One possibility...

Do you, perhaps, have a 4GL connection to the database in question (possibly a remote connection) and you want to run a 4GL utility to create a .st file?

There is no standard utility like that but it wouldn't be hard to write one.

Posted by ijazbof on 09-Sep-2009 14:25

I want to create the .st file based on a database that I CAN connect to but to which I do not have physical access. Now this is only an intellectual challenge rather than an impossibility to just copy the .st file and finish the job.

Posted by ijazbof on 09-Sep-2009 14:27

Yes, I can connect to the database, and yes it would be useful to have a 4GL utility to do this, it's just that I do not find any documentation on system tables and how to convert that into a properly structured .st file. Thanks

Posted by bent on 05-Nov-2009 04:11

The information your are looking fore are available in the VST tables, and you can create the .st file based on this.

ex.

for each _areastatus WITH WIDTH 200:
    DISP _areastatus .
end.

http://www.progress-plus.com/appmon/admin/appmon/vsttableslist.htm

This thread is closed