Progress Software Announces the Industry's First Type 5

Posted by ChUIMonster on 27-Apr-2010 08:43

"We are in an industry that is changing constantly, and it was clear to  Progress Software that after more than a decade as the industry  standard, Type 4 JDBC drivers have outlasted their ability to  effectively support today's Java applications," said John  Goodson, vice president and general manager of Enterprise Data  Solutions, Progress Software. "Enterprises are in need of drivers  that can support mission-critical applications by delivering increased  speed and flexibility, which is why we have developed what we believe  will be the new de facto standard for the industry."

The Progress DataDirect Connect for JDBC drivers are now available for  Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, Sybase, MySQL and Informix. For more  information, please go to http://www.datadirect.com/products/jdbc/index.ssp.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Apr-2010 11:22

Funny, there seems to be a DB missing from that list ...

Posted by Admin on 27-Apr-2010 11:51

Funny, there seems to be a DB missing from that list ...

Anybody surprised?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Apr-2010 11:56

Those are their practice implementations ....

Posted by Admin on 27-Apr-2010 12:56

Those are their practice implementations ....

That would actually be a surprise

Posted by bsgruenba on 27-Apr-2010 13:17

Not really. My guess is that the Type 5 drivers are going to need a much more recent SQL compliance level than SQL 92. It's an 18-year-old spec that has been significantly improved in 99, 2003 and 2008.

If you were building a Progress application on V7, you would no longer be supported. SQL 92 is as many versions back as that.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Apr-2010 13:26

I wonder about that.  Yes, to be sure, it does seem like it is time for SQL 92 to move to something more recent and for a number of functionality gaps to get filled, but, isn't a Type 5 driver about the technology of the connection, not the specific queries which are being passed?

Posted by bsgruenba on 27-Apr-2010 13:43

Well here's the thing:

Sql:2003 (or SQL4) added support for Object Language Bindings and specific routines for Java support. Those two things alone would probably enable most of the supposed benefits of the so-called type-5 drivers. I don't know much about the databases for which support has been provided, other than MySQL and Oracle which are both at least SQL:2003 compliant.

So to me, that accounts for why Type 5 drivers can probably do a better job of ORM than type 4.

This thread is closed