Database tool with SQL entering

Posted by Admin on 22-Dec-2010 04:22

Hi,

I am Trainee in an IT operation. I should migrate an Oracle DB into a Progress DB
. But I do not with which tools should I work. I need a tool with an editor that can process SQL statements.

Can you recommend me one? Is there perhaps something like phpMyAdmin for database Progess?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hallo,

Ich bin Praktikant in einem IT-Betrieb. Ich soll eine Oracle DB in eine Progress DB migieren. Aber ich weiß nicht mit welchen Tool ich arbeiten soll. Ich brauche ein Tool mit einem Editor, das SQL Anweisungen verarbeiten kann.

Könnt ihr mir eins empfehlen? Gibt es vielleicht sowas wie "phpMyAdmin" auch für Progess Datenbank?

All Replies

Posted by maximmonin on 22-Dec-2010 06:00

You can use Oracle dataserver compoment.

Instead Oracle dataserver component you can use also ODBC dataserver component.

It connects to oracle DB, reads db structure and transfers it to Progress DB holder.

After this operation is done you can query Progress DB holder with "for each" or select operators. All queries will be redirected to oracle and you will be able to get data from Oracle DB.

You can also do data transfer in other direction. Just create new progress DB, load it structure and run server with ODBC connection enabled. Then use oracle hs tools to connect to progress DB through odbc. And run some sql queries written in oracle enviroment and target progress DB.

Posted by Admin on 22-Dec-2010 08:03

Oracle DataServer compoment?
you probably mean: Oracle Data Access Components
http://windowspedia.de/oracle-data-access-components_download/

I need both now? Oracle Data Access Components ODBC and DataServer component? Or can get "ODBC data server component" the Sturktur and the data from Oracle itself?

And what is an "oracle hs tools"?

Posted by maximmonin on 22-Dec-2010 08:29

LaraK wrote:

Oracle DataServer compoment?
you probably mean: Oracle Data Access Components
http://windowspedia.de/oracle-data-access-components_download/

I need both now? Oracle Data Access Components ODBC and DataServer component? Or can get "ODBC data server component" the Sturktur and the data from Oracle itself?

And what is an "oracle hs tools"?

Progress has bridge to Oracle named "Oracle dataserver". I am not sure that Progress "ODBC Dataserver" will work against Oracle Database (maybe it is restricted by engine and lisence). If not, you can use it.

About Oracle Нeterogeneous Services(hs), it is way oracle register external ODBC databases.
I did something like:

1. Modify network\admin\tnsnames.ora - add new source

Progress

=

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID =

Progress)

)

(HS = OK)

)

2. Specify connection network\admin\listener.ora

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_DESC =

(PROGRAM = hsodbc)

(SID_NAME =

Progress)

(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\bise1\db)

)

3. odbc parameters file hs\admin\initProgress.ora

HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO =

Progress

HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 1
it was long time ago, so i do not remeber details, check oracle hs documentation.

Posted by Admin on 23-Dec-2010 01:40

I do not quite understand. Are they two ways:
DataServer for ORACLE
http://documentation.progress.com/output/OpenEdge102b/pdfs/dmora/dmora.pdf
or Oracle Heterogeneous Services
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76960/hs_conce.htm
Or do I need both?

I have thought it read only a little.

Posted by maximmonin on 23-Dec-2010 01:56

If you work in progress enviroment, you use first component.

If you work in oracle enviroment, you use second.

dataserver for oracle (from progress side) does the same thing as hs (from oracle side).

Posted by Admin on 23-Dec-2010 02:04

Thank you very much for your help and that you have taken the time to me. Now I know with what reading I have to deal in detail.

The tool of progress I think but still awful. Have Progress not a tool like phpMyAdmin for MySQL?

Posted by egarcia on 23-Dec-2010 10:31

Hello,

You could use a SQL editor that uses ODBC or JDBC. (I do not know if phpMyAdmin would work with a JDBC or ODBC connection.)

The OpenEdge Architect product includes a SQL editor that you could use (among many other development tools that work with the ABL).

Since you may not have OpenEdge Architect, you could use "Eclipse SQL Explorer" or "SQuirrel SQL Client".

In the past, I used WinSQL. (I see that there a lite version as well as a commercial version.)

The tool called "Universal SQL Editor" seems to be similar to WinSQL but I have not tried it out.

Check the SQL Development documentation for information on how to connect using an ODBC or JDBC client.

http://documentation.progress.com/output/OpenEdge102b/pdfs/dmsdv/dmsdv.pdf

You can also use the Progress command line utilities sqlexp, sqldump and sqlload to query/run scripts, dump data lor load data from the command line.

I hope this helps.

Posted by Admin on 27-Dec-2010 09:58

I looked accurate the OpenEdge Architect and, after long try out, I created a database connection. I think it is just what I was looking for. Thank you!

This thread is closed