open Edge Data server for Oracle

Posted by Admin on 24-Jul-2008 01:26

Hi,

We have Open edge 10.1 A installed in our system.

I want to connect it with my Oracle database.

I have oracle 10g(10.1.2.0.2) installed in same system...

i am new to this... so dont know about connectin...

Is there any software required for that... also IS Open Edge data server software different from Open Edge data server software for Oracle?

is my version compatible?

What all software needs to be downloaded?

Please explain....

thanx in advance....

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 24-Jul-2008 01:30

I forgot to mention... i am working in windows XP environment...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jul-2008 11:01

A DataServer is a separately licensed product. If all you have is Workgroup or Enterprise Database license, then you don't have what you need to connect to Oracle.

Posted by Admin on 24-Jul-2008 22:59

so please tell me what all softwares do i require in order to connect with oracle...

Also which version of oracle is suitable?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Jul-2008 11:16

The product is called DataServer for Oracle. Support for Oracle versions varies by Progress version.

Posted by Admin on 27-Jul-2008 19:50

Are you trying to read data from the Oracle database or the Progress database?

Which product will the application be developed in, and which will hold the data?

If it is a Progress application reading data out of an Oracle database, then the DataServer is required. However if it is an Oracle application trying to pull data out of a Progress database then you could use an ODBC link.

Posted by Admin on 27-Jul-2008 23:01

Hi guys,

Thanx for your reply... My open edge version is 10.1A... So Which version of oracle do i require???... I want to do both accessing Oracle database from progress as well as progress from oracle...

So can u please brief me required steps in doing both of the above mentioned....

Posted by Admin on 27-Jul-2008 23:13

As mentioned above you will need to get an Oracle dataserver license. This provides the ability to 'link' to tables from our Oracle database whilst within the Progress development environment. Tables that are 'linked' in will appear to Progress code as if they are actual Progress database tables.

To draw data from the Progress database into an Oracle application you can use an ODBC Client - installed in the same manner as other ODBC data sources. Progress currently supports the SQL92 standard.

You will need to get these license from your original vendor, and both come with instructions on setup/install - the process is not difficult but a little long to include all the information here.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Jul-2008 00:11

Note that the piece for getting Progress data from a non-Progress, i.e., SQL source is a free component in 10.x versions. You just need to work with your rep to get it set up for download. The reverse is the piece which requires a different licence.

Posted by Admin on 28-Jul-2008 22:54

So you guys mean to say i need Oracle 9i in order to access from progress database... I have Oracle 10g installed ... that wont work???

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Jul-2008 11:07

Why do you say that? It looks to me like 10.1A supports 10gR2.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Oct-2008 10:03

10g will work.

Posted by Admin on 24-May-2011 10:15

Hi,,

So this is my situation and I need advice as soon as possible.

I am using Oracle 10g or 11g on Windows 64 bit system.

I need to create dblink in Oracle which will then connect on progress base version 10.1C.

So what I need ito do is that I can laod data into Oracle from progress base using this dblink.

Everything must be done in Oracle base.

sql in oracle would be someting like:

insert into myoracletable

select * from progresstable@dbl_progress

Can plese someone give me an advice which is the best way to do this and what kind of sofware I need to install on Oracle server (exact web link would be fine).

If it is possible I dont want to install anything on progress server... everything must be done on oracle server...

thx for replay....

This thread is closed