Connection betwen Progress and Oracle, Plese help!!!

Posted by Admin on 26-May-2011 05:06

Hi,,

So this is my situation and I need advice as soon as possible.

I am using Oracle 11g on Windows 64 bit system.

I need to transfer data form Progress base to Oracle and this has to be done from Oracle base.

I would like to to create dblink in Oracle (usnig heterogenic system)  which will then connect on progress base version 10.1C.

So what I need ito do is that I can laod data into Oracle from progress base using this dblink.

Everything must be done in Oracle base.

sql in oracle would be someting like:

insert into myoracletable

select * from progresstable@dbl_progress

Can plese someone give me an advice which is the best way to do this and what kind of sofware I need to install on Oracle server (exact web link would be fine).

If it is possible I dont want to install anything on progress server... everything must be done on oracle server...

I read on web that this can be done using Progress ODBC driver...

thx for replay.... please help....

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 26-May-2011 06:34

Everything must be done in Oracle base.

sql in oracle would be someting like:

insert into myoracletable

select * from progresstable@dbl_progress

I don't think you really want to do that ... really, how many records do you expect to load and how long do you think this is going to take using that kind of statement?

Can plese someone give me an advice which is the best way to do this and what kind of sofware I need to install on Oracle server (exact web link would be fine).

If it is possible I dont want to install anything on progress server... everything must be done on oracle server...

I read on web that this can be done using Progress ODBC driver...

get yourself a good ETL tool, there are a number of valid alternatives in the open-source world that you might start with...

Talend - www.talend.com
Kettle (Pentaho) - kettle.pentaho.com

Posted by Admin on 26-May-2011 06:53

Thx for replay...

I dont have problem with loadig time bacuase I will transfer data during the night. I dont need real time replication...

Loading time can take for 10 hours or so.... and I dont expect to many record......

Please,,, is there soultion for this using ODBC driver

Posted by Admin on 26-May-2011 08:20

I dont have problem with loadig time bacuase I will transfer data during the night. I dont need real time replication...

Ahh, just a word of warning... the night won't get longer as your database gets larger

Anyway, if you want to get that route and have Oracle in house you  should head to the DBA and tell him this... 'heterogeneous services',  he'll know what to do but if you want to give him a 'hint' (sic) http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76960/hs_admin.htm#15089

The ODBC driver for Progress need to be installed on the Oracle server  (you'll have some fun if that happens to be *nix), the Progress database  need to have SQL access set-up (start a SQL broker, enable security)...  then define the ODBC DNS on Oracle server and the Oracle DBA will know  what to do with it.

This thread is closed