Benefits of DataServer for MS SQLServer

Posted by ericg on 09-Jun-2011 13:24

Looking for input as to the benefits of using the

OpenEdge® DataServer for Microsoft SQL Server rather than just using a COM-HANDLE ADODB object connection and executing SQL and SPs in ABL?

Thanks!

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 10-Jun-2011 13:24

Really non-comparable solutions.  One is going to require a ton of SQL Server specific logic interfacing to the connection object and the other will be 100% ABL code that can run against either a SQL Server or Progress data base (which is not to say that one doesn't have to tailor the ABL to be compatible with SQL Server, just that it is ordinary ABL retrieval code).  My guess is that the perfomance is also likely to be dramatically different, but I don't know of any tests.  You could find that out with an eval though.

If your need is to interface only a very limited amount of data, you might consider pushing the data as you describe or pulling the data through regular SQL.  If you actully want to run the application on SQL Server, then there isn't really any reason choice to make other than to use the DataServer.

Posted by bdearborn on 10-Jun-2011 13:29

Hi,

I am currently out of the office on business and will be returning to

the office on June 13, 2011. I will have limited access to email but

If you need immediate assistance please call my cell phone at

503-805-8598.

Thanks,

Bryn Dearborn

503-805-8598

--

Bryn Dearborn

503-928-8115 (Work)

503-805-8598 (Cell)

Cornerstar

Posted by ericg on 10-Jun-2011 15:09

There is a great divide between them isn't there. One benefit the DataServer option has is better error feedback and therefore more precise rollback/undoing.

This thread is closed