OpenEdge 10.1B database, ODBC SQL view definitions with stri

Posted by SteveMatthews on 22-Jun-2011 08:28

In our OpenEdge 10.1B database we have a database table called ADDDATA which provides general storage for user-definable fields.  The table contains information to identify what entity the data relates to, what type of data the row contains, and then a 32-extent character field called DATA where the actual field values are stored (up to 32 user definable field values can be stored in one row).

Each extent of the DATA field holds a character value, but the interpretation/presentation of these field values might be a different data type, e.g. integer, decimal or date.

What we are trying to do is create some ODBC-accessible SQL views in the Progress database, so we can present the data in the ADDDATA table in a more structured and user-friendly form, with meaningful column names and the character data converted to the appropriate type.  For example DATA[7] might be defined as "MoneyOnAccount" and hold a value of "150.00" as character, and we want to create a SQL view where DATA[7] is converted from character to decimal and present it with a column name of "MoneyOnAccount".

But we are finding problems with conversion of character values to dates, attached is one of our view definitions where DATA[1] is being converted to a date value.  The character values are all stored in dd/mm/yyyy format (as we are in the UK).  The view is created OK, but when trying to execute queries over it we are getting errors, such as:

select  * from "custom"."incdet1_ma" where "incdate" >  '01/20/1997'
Error: Invalid date string  (7497) (State:S1000, Native Code: FFFFB0FA)
0  Row(s) affected
Invalid date string  (7497)

We have tried different date formats in the query statement but it doesn't seem to be this that is causing the problem, we think it might be that the conversion of the stored data from character to date is failing because the values are in dd/mm/yyyy format.
Could this be the cause, and if it is there can we do something to make the conversion to date compatible with dd/mm/yyyy format, or will we need to redefine the view to switch around the day and month parts of the date before doing the conversion to date?
Thanks

INCDET1_MA.sql.zip

All Replies

Posted by gus on 22-Jun-2011 08:37

what is the definition of the view where you are converting from character string to date?

Posted by SteveMatthews on 22-Jun-2011 08:42

Hi Gus,

This is the full definition of the view, the date conversion part is in bold (following on from my previous post about pro_element(...) etc. you'll see that we're still using this function instead of the square-bracket syntax to access separate extents from the data field).

CREATE VIEW "CUSTOM"."INCDET1_MA"

(

"FAC-TAB-NUMBER",

"GENTYPE",

"INCABSTR",

"INCADD1",

"INCADD2",

"INCCNTRY",

"INCCOUNT",

"INCDATE",

"INCDESC",

"INCHS",

"INCPOSTC",

"INCSITE",

"INCTIME",

"INCTOWN",

"INCUPDAT",

"MOD-DATE",

"MOD-TIME",

"MOD-USER",

"ORIINCDT",

"REFERENCE",

"SPARE1",

"SPARE2",

"SPARE3",

"SPARE4",

"SPARE5",

"SPARE6",

"SPARE7",

"SPARE8",

"SPECTYPE",

"TAB-CODE",

"TYPE"

)

AS SELECT

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."FAC-TAB-NUMBER",

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,12 ,12),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,15 ,15),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,3 ,3),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,4 ,4),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,8 ,8),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,6 ,6),'?')),

convert ('date', nullif(nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,1 ,1),'?'),'')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,9 ,9),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,10 ,10),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,7 ,7),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,11 ,11),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,2 ,2),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,5 ,5),'?')),

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,16 ,16),'?')),

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."MOD-DATE",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."MOD-TIME",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."MOD-USER",

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,14 ,14),'?')),

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."REFERENCE",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE1",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE2",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE3",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE4",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE5",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE6",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE7",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."SPARE8",

convert ('character', nullif( pro_element ("PUB"."ADDDATA"."DATA" ,13 ,13),'?')),

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."TAB-CODE",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."TYPE"

FROM "PUB"."ADDDATA" WHERE "PUB"."ADDDATA"."TYPE" = 'MA'

AND "PUB"."ADDDATA"."TAB-CODE" = 'INCDET1';

Posted by gus on 23-Jun-2011 13:24

That looks reasonable to me. I can't see a reason for why it does not work. But why do you have nested nullif()'s ?

Posted by SteveMatthews on 24-Jun-2011 03:28

Hi Gus,

Thanks for looking, yes good point about the nullifs(), I've been trying to get a much simpler example together to see if I can shed any more light on it, with a much smaller data set and a simpler view definition I can reproduce the problem more easily but I still don't know what's causing it.

Here's a simpler view definition,  the definition of the XDATE field converts the string values from dd/mm/yyyy format to mm/yy/dddd format before executing the to_date() function (with a test on empty string to make sure that null dates come through correctly).

CREATE VIEW "CUSTOM"."SRM1"

(

"FAC-TAB-NUMBER",

"XDATE" , 

"REFERENCE",

"TAB-CODE",

"TYPE"

)

AS SELECT

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."FAC-TAB-NUMBER",

case when pub.adddata.data[1] > '' then to_date(substr(pub.adddata.data[1], 4, 3) + substr(pub.adddata.data[1], 1, 3) + substr(pub.adddata.data[1], 7, 4)) else null end,

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."REFERENCE",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."TAB-CODE",

"PUB"."ADDDATA"."TYPE"

FROM "PUB"."ADDDATA" WHERE "PUB"."ADDDATA"."TYPE" = 'MA'

AND "PUB"."ADDDATA"."TAB-CODE" = 'SRM';

GRANT SELECT ON "CUSTOM"."SRM1" TO PUBLIC;

COMMIT WORK;

This view definition works perfectly when fetching all data from the view, with XDATE coming through as the expected date value or NULL:
select * from "custom"."srm1"
FAC-TAB-NUMBER XDATE      REFERENCE    TAB-CODE TYPE
1              07/06/2011 BAR0209-0002 SRM      MA
2                         BAR0209-0002 SRM      MA
3              19/01/1990 BAR0209-0002 SRM      MA
4                         BAR0209-0002 SRM      MA
But as soon as I apply criteria to the XDATE column I get the "Invalid date string" error coming up:
select * from "custom"."srm1" where year(xdate) > 2000
[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE] Invalid date string (7497)
This is really strange because without applying criteria to the XDATE column it all seems to work fine.

Posted by gus on 29-Jun-2011 10:24

I'm out of my depth here and have no idea what is wrong. I'll have to get professional help.

This thread is closed