white devles is trying kill me

Posted by durkadurka005 on 17-Mar-2012 16:18

faq u white devles!

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Mar-2012 16:36

It might be worth noting that very few people use SQL to *update* a Progress database.   Mostly, it is a channel used for reporting.  Any particular reason you feel compelled to do the updates through SQL?   In particular, I would recommend looking at AppServer with Open Client to interface a non-ABL client with a Progress database in a robust and flexible way.

Posted by durkadurka005 on 17-Mar-2012 16:44

faq u white devles!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Mar-2012 17:02

I would question the project as well.  If the target is an OpenEdge database, I would recommend that the data access layer be written in ABL and run on the server under AppServer ... regardless of the technology of the client and regardless of how heavy the client.

Frankly, while I see plenty of reason for non-ABL clients in a number of contexts, in keeping with good modern architectural principles those client layers should be as thin as possible and contain neither business logic or data access.  I see little or no justification for writing the business logic or data access in a non-ABL language.  If you are going to do that, why use an OpenEdge database?

Posted by durkadurka005 on 17-Mar-2012 21:14

faq u white devles!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Mar-2012 23:12

OK, but look at the universe of what people want to do ...

Lots and lots of people on OpenEdbe are using ABL for BL and DA and, if anything, are interested in thin non-ABL UI layers like tablets and phones and browsers.

Every so often, someone is interested in migrating from anything related to OpenEdge ... often because they haven't paid maintenance in years and now need to change platforms and they have the mistaken idea that they can save money by moving the whole thing to Java.  There are 5 companies doing that as a business and between them they might have one or two applications in production ... statistically equal to zero.

There are lots of people interested in transformation, but why would they want to stick with an OE database and a non-ABL language.  If anything, if they aren't in the above "crowd", they are going to want to go the Dataserver route so that they can install their application on SQL Server or Oracle, because those are the mandated databases.

So, what's your market?  People on OE who want to pretend they are on Access?

Posted by durkadurka005 on 18-Mar-2012 00:35

faq u white devles!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Mar-2012 11:56

Point being, if you do the whole application in a non-ABL language, there is little particular motivation for continuing to keep an OpenEdge database.  If you are keeping the database because you have an extensive application that you can't afford to convert, then data access via SQL is not the best answer, even if you are writing a new application in a non-ABL language.  That's just the way it is.

This thread is closed