PSDN 64 bit db server 32 bit development

Posted by jmls on 28-May-2012 02:03

Getting my knickers in a twist over this

As I have a machine with 64gb ram, I thought that I had better use a 64-bit version of progress.

All well and good. 64 bit installed .

However, I also want to run a 4GL development session on the same box .

how do I make the two behave - 4GL development is 32-bit only. So , do I need to install the two products on the same box ? I did try, but kept getting the "you can need enterprise level when accessng largefile enabled"  - so do I need to install a 32-bit enterprise db licence as well ??

Thanks

All Replies

Posted by bheavican on 28-May-2012 02:06

Thank you for your message. I am currently out of the office, with limited access to email.

I will be returning on Monday, 06/04/12.

Brent

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 31-May-2012 07:31

What OS is this?  What are the names of the products you are installing?  For the DB, presumably it is Enterprise RDBMS.  When you say "development session", do you mean the compiler (4GL Development System) or some other development tool like PDS:OE or OE Studio?

You definitely want the 64-bit database.  If you have a client-side constraint that limits you to 32-bit (like the GUI client, for example), then you can still use them on the same box, you'll just be limited to connecting to the DB via TCP rather than shared memory.  If it's just a compiler you want, and are doing character compilation or development, then you can install the 64-bit 4GL DevSys.  Does this help?

Posted by gus on 31-May-2012 09:46

There is little need and little benefit in using 64-bit versions on a development box. You do not usually need to have large files enabled for your database either on a development box.

That said, if this is a Linux system, you can easily have two installations. just put them in separate DLC directories.

if this is a winoze system having two installations is a complicated nuisance. Instead, you could

• apply the Linux patch
  • put the 32-bit development environment in a virtual machine

Posted by andrew.thornton@redprairie.com on 31-May-2012 10:31

Hi, Can I add my viewpoint to this, and explain why we would see a requirement for a 32bit and a 64bit install on a Windows box - or ideally a Windows client as part of a 64 bit environment/install.

With our customers if they choose a Windows server to run their system from, we would typically be given remote access to the Windows server from our office network. Typically that box would be our only available access to the office. Currently that works fine with a Windows 32 bit install as we install the client onto the server as well so we can run our software front end as required, but we'd also have a development environment on the server which only we can run - to basically run procedure editor against their database to run queries/datafixes.

Unless I am totally misinterpreting Windows 64 bit Progress once we install OE 10.2B 64 bit that install doesn't allow us to run our gui client or a dev/procedure editor environment. We also can't install 32 bit OE 10.2B onto the same box. At the moment OE 10.2A 32 bit client would work, but when we look at OE 11 I assume that option would no longer be there.

I appreciate you could argue that the customer should then supply us with a second server/pc with remote access, or a separate vm we can get to, but that implies additional cost to them - and keep in mind that these are customers who we probably initially installed with 32 OE 10.1C so we're having to go back to them and say we need you to add such and such to their infrastructure for us to actively support them.

In addition from an internal development environment. My QA team work off laptops with no vm architecture. In the past I could ask them to test software against OE 10.1C, OE 10.2A, OE 10.2B 32 bit all on the same machine. Now the only way I can get them to test against an OE 10.2B 64 bit database/server is to look at a vm environment, or a separate 10.2B 64 bit server install, which makes testing significantly more difficult and time consuming.

If I'm misinterpreting the Windows 64 bit options, or you think I am getting my installation or testing strategy completely wrong then I am open to suggestions, but it just seems to me that either adding a full client to 64 bit Windows, or allowing 32 bit and 64 bit on the same Windows server is a must for 64 bit installations on lower end customer sites, and for flexible QA testing within a development environment.

Thanks, Andrew

Andrew Thornton

Technical Leader

RedPrairie delivers inventory, transportation and workforce productivity solutions for retailers, distributors and manufacturers around the world.

RedPrairie

The Millhouse, Whinchat Hall, Skipwith Road, Escrick, York, YO19 6EJ, United Kingdom

Office: +44 (0) 1904 727 150

Mobile: +44 (0) 7944 246776

www.RedPrairie.com

This thread is closed