Open Edge Data Servers and Oracle Real Application Clusters

Posted by pameacs on 18-Jun-2012 19:57

Hi

I am not a Progress customer but working on a project where RAC is an option for Oracle Databases to be hosted and one application is using Open Edge Server and an Oracle database. As part of some changes they are upgrading and will use Open edge 10.2B.

What I would like to know is what is the level of support for 10.2B and Oracle RAC and if the project installs 11.2 Oracle RAC will this work, I have browsed the various Data Server Documentation and could not find anything that mentions Oracle RAC and either I haven't found the right document or its behind Technical Support.

I am happy if you can advise even the appropriate document so I can get the person with the Progress Support account to request or obtain it that will be fine. The install guides and data server documents dont help on this matter.

Thanks for any assistance,

Peter

All Replies

Posted by Roberta Miller on 19-Jun-2012 09:18

Hi Peter,

Article 000021723, "Is the DataServer for Oracle compatible with the Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) product?" in our knowledge base explains OpenEdge support for Oracle RAC. In a nutshell, the OpenEdge DataServer for Oracle should work against a RAC database (although it has not been explicitly certified), but the DataServer client does not contain the extra programming needed to make it "RAC-aware".

The OpenEdge knowledge base is publicly available at http://knowledgebase.progress.com/ProgressKBHome. Enter the article number in the search box to go straight to the article referenced above. The knowledge base is a good source of answers on "special-purpose" topics that aren't covered in the documentation.

The owners of the OpenEdge application that you are working with may have a maintenance contract that entitles them to technical support. If you have more detailed questions, you might want to ask them if they would open a support case with Progress on your behalf. Their Progress account representative may also be able to give you more information.

HTH,

Roberta

Posted by pameacs on 19-Jun-2012 18:19

Thanks for that Roberta, just what I needed

Peter

This thread is closed