Trying to move Progress 9.1D from one server to a new server

Posted by Admin on 27-May-2008 12:34

Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to to move a progress 9.1D database from one server to another?? i would prefer to use progress explorer

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-May-2008 12:44

Probably belongs on the DB forum, but critical to your question is the nature of the two servers. Same OS, same version of Progress, etc.? If everything is the same, all you really need is a physical copy and possibly a prostrct repair if you changed the directory location. Or, you could use a backup and restore to end up in a differently structured database. But, if you have different platform types or versions, then you are probably looking for some form of dump and load or Tom B's direct DB to DB approach.

Posted by Admin on 27-May-2008 12:49

everything is the same, just different folder directories and different computer name. ive tried copying over, but it still wants to point to the old server. any help?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-May-2008 12:58

What wants to point to the old server? The DB doesn't have anything about computer name ... unless, of course, you have a -H parameter in the startup parameters. If everything is the same except folder location, then the prostrct repair should resync you to the new structure.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 30-May-2008 08:51

Are you getting a message along the lines of "this db is a copy of..."?

If so then you need to create a new .st file that reflects the actual (new) location of your db extents and the do a "prostrct repair". Db path names are embedded in the database, when you copy it from one folder to another it compares them and detects that things are not what they were... It may seem like a pain in the butt but it can also save you from some nasty operational errors.

Posted by kinjald on 07-Mar-2013 04:09

I am trying to move Progress 9.1E from Suse 9 Linux to RHEL 4. Do i still have to do a dump/load. Can i not copy the databases?

Posted by gus on 07-Mar-2013 06:20

The simplest way to move databases from one server to another is by backing up on one server and restoring on the other.

You can also do it by copying the individual files with o/s utilities but that is a bit moire difficult. The database has a .db file that contains the names and locations of all the other files. If the files are moved to a new location that file has to be updated. That can be done using the prostrct repair utility.

Posted by kinjald on 07-Mar-2013 08:24

Thanks Gus for your response. OS copy even though painful will save lot of time for me. Secondly, the OS being same/compatible do not see much of an issue.

Posted by gus on 07-Mar-2013 09:41

Just be sure that you have the extent locations specified in the .db files

match the actual extent locations to where you copied them.

This thread is closed