Transition

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 19-Mar-2013 10:08

When doing a transition on a replicated database the documentation states that:

The target database can be transitioned to the normal (non-replicated) state or to a source database.

The source database can be transitioned to a target database or normal state (if you first turn off transition).

How can I select the state? It seems to me that you can only set up the state in the properties file. But I can imagine scenarios where I would want to select on a per occasion basis what transition to take place. I might want to switch target/source or switch the target/source into normal.

Can I do that? And do I then first edit the properties files and then run DSRUTIL db -C transition or how?

All Replies

Posted by gus on 19-Mar-2013 13:08

Why would you ever want to swap target and source ? That seems to me like a very bad(tm) idea.

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 20-Mar-2013 03:55

First: why is it even possible if it's so bad?

Second: I was thinking along the line of a semi planned maintenance. Let's say a fan stops working on my source db, not good but not fatal. Since I don't have any spare fans I need to wait for delivery. I could then switch the source and target and still have replication up and running - if more fans suddenly dies and the server stops I would prefer my target from failing rather than my source. When the fan arrives I can take the new target (old source) offline, install new fan, restore database from new source (old target) and switch back!

On the other hand: if my source just dies I wouldn't want to switch my target to source but rather to normal (stand alone).

Since I'm not working with any experienced DBA here I'm just reading the documentation and trying to put together my own scenarios and my own ways of handling them. Maybe I'm unorthodox.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 28-Mar-2013 11:34

Planned maintenance.

This weekend the primary data center generator is going to be upgraded.  A prudent course of action would be to failover to your alternate location ahead of time.  Next weekend the secondary will be upgraded.  Now it is time to go back to the original.

If all goes well no actual outage takes place.

It is possible to do this with OE Replication.  There is a 12 step plan.  I don't have it handy but if I dig it up I'll post it.

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 03-Apr-2013 01:14

That would be very nice!

This thread is closed