Kinvey and OpenEdge

Posted by William Antero on 23-Jan-2018 20:34

Hello guys!

How is the best way to create a Native Script App with Kinvey Backend and connect to a service in OpenEdge?

I found two Options in Kinvey Service Catalog: RapidData -> REST and RapidData -> Data Direct.

I tried to create a REST to connect with oemobiledemo.progress.com/OEMobileDemoServices/rest/CustomerService/Customer, but they asked me for some methods and I don´t know how to config.

Does Kinvey works with JSDO?

Thanks!

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 23-Jan-2018 21:53

Hi Will,

>> How is the best way to create a Native Script App with Kinvey Backend and connect to a service in OpenEdge?

I believe you have a few options:

- You can use the Data Direct Hybrid Pipe to connect Kinvey to OpenEdge:

www.progress.com/cloud-and-hybrid-data-integration

- You can connect Kinvey to OpenEdge REST using Kinvey RapidData

I've connected with you offline and showed you a working RapidData sample I've created (someday I will find time, clean it up and post it here with a Video)

- You can write your own Business Logic in Kinvey/Node.js (using Flex Services) to consume OE REST or the JSDO. Edsel might have more on this area. He will most likely read this and contribute if he has ...

The challenge of using our OEMobileDemoServices from Progress is that the Service Operations are not a perfect match for Kinvey's RapidData.  To use it, you might need write a Flex Service to conform to that Service Operations format (since you cannot edit our demo services)

If you host your own REST Services, you have more flexibility and can easily tweak your backend operations to match what Kinvey's RapidData Services expects.

I've forward you a Generic/Dynamic OE Backend Services code using WebHandler that Edsel created and I've tweaked to match some of Kinvey's RapidData basic operations ... That should allow you to get started ... But if you need further help, please let us know ...

Abração,

Ricardo Perdigao

All Replies

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 23-Jan-2018 21:53

Hi Will,

>> How is the best way to create a Native Script App with Kinvey Backend and connect to a service in OpenEdge?

I believe you have a few options:

- You can use the Data Direct Hybrid Pipe to connect Kinvey to OpenEdge:

www.progress.com/cloud-and-hybrid-data-integration

- You can connect Kinvey to OpenEdge REST using Kinvey RapidData

I've connected with you offline and showed you a working RapidData sample I've created (someday I will find time, clean it up and post it here with a Video)

- You can write your own Business Logic in Kinvey/Node.js (using Flex Services) to consume OE REST or the JSDO. Edsel might have more on this area. He will most likely read this and contribute if he has ...

The challenge of using our OEMobileDemoServices from Progress is that the Service Operations are not a perfect match for Kinvey's RapidData.  To use it, you might need write a Flex Service to conform to that Service Operations format (since you cannot edit our demo services)

If you host your own REST Services, you have more flexibility and can easily tweak your backend operations to match what Kinvey's RapidData Services expects.

I've forward you a Generic/Dynamic OE Backend Services code using WebHandler that Edsel created and I've tweaked to match some of Kinvey's RapidData basic operations ... That should allow you to get started ... But if you need further help, please let us know ...

Abração,

Ricardo Perdigao

This thread is closed