How to connect an OpenEdge datasource to simple HTML element

Posted by mainroad1 on 21-Jul-2017 16:37

Can anyone provide examples of how to code read/update operations in a Telerik mobile app against a datasource for an OpenEdge db with simple HTML elements like a text box, radio set, checkbox, etc.?

Thanks,

gord.

Posted by Peter Van Dyck on 22-Jul-2017 16:33

Gord, the choice is yours, but I wouldn't convert your application to Angular, just to be able to use data from your Progress database in a html page.

Kendo is just one of the options to implement the "glue" you're talking about, but it is the one which is best supported in this community, I expect.

Even though most examples use specific kendo widgets, you don't need those to show data from your back-end.

Kendo has quite a few special widgets, but also supports binding with default HTML input fields, like fill-ins, checkboxes and radio sets. They are just not seen as "Kendo widgets", but you can still bind them to data, just like other Kendo widgets.

These are some simple binding samples (of MVVM, but you can bind directly to a datasource too):

docs.telerik.com/.../value

docs.telerik.com/.../checked

All Replies

Posted by Anil Kumar on 21-Jul-2017 16:50

Hi Gord,

Please find a Telerik Platform mobile app sample performing all CRUD operations in following GitHub location.

                Mobile Sample Location

This app is built using Telerik Platform and uses latest JSDO (4.4) libraries. Please click on Try in AppBuilder link to see the working application in your Telerik Platform environment. This app uses Listview control for displaying the data (fetched from OpenEdge) and selecting a record in listview shows respective record details in a detail page.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

Posted by mainroad1 on 21-Jul-2017 17:20

Hi Anil:

Thank you for replying to my post, but that does not help me.

It shows how to connect a kendoMobileListView to the OpenEdge datasource, but I want to see how to do it with simple HTML elements.  Not Kendo widgets.

I've tried to figure out how to do the simple HTML elements using these kinds of examples, but it's not worked for me.

Still puzzled,

gord.

Posted by maura on 21-Jul-2017 18:36

Hi Gord,

In the sample Anil mentioned,  if you look at detailView.html or editDetailView.html, you will see that they contain HTML elements that are bound to data model properties which correspond to the selected row of the ListView control

(where the ListView control's Datasource property is set to the JSDO DataSource (accessing your OE backend data).

Maura

Posted by mainroad1 on 21-Jul-2017 21:23

Hmm...

Thank you for pointing that out Maura.

I'm still unhappy about this because it leaves my question unanswered.  It looks to me as if the OpenEdge datasource is connected to the Kendo widget and then the HTML elements are connected to elements in the rows of the Kendo widget.

So the example shows

   OpenEdge --> Kendo  --> HTML

and I'm still trying to figure out how to do

   OpenEdge --> HTML

I am hoping there is a simple way to do this that can be shown off.

Cheers,

gord.

Posted by mainroad1 on 21-Jul-2017 21:38

Maybe there must be some sort of *glue* between the OpenEdge datasource and the HTML...

If that is the answer then must it be Kendo?  Are they any other options?

If the answer is that I must have a Kendo widget in between the OpenEdge datasource and the HTML then do I have to display the Kendo object in my mobile app?

Imagine the simplest possible Telerik mobile app.  It requests 1 record from the OpenEdge datasource and then wants to display a field of character data in an HTML text box.  That is what I'm trying to figure out how to do.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 21-Jul-2017 21:44

Angular JS data binding.

Sent from Nine

Maybe there must be some sort of *glue* between the OpenEdge datasource and the HTML...

If that is the answer then must it be Kendo?  Are they any other options?

If the answer is that I must have a Kendo widget in between the OpenEdge datasource and the HTML then do I have to display the Kendo object in my mobile app?

Imagine the simplest possible Telerik mobile app.  It requests 1 record from the OpenEdge datasource and then wants to display a field of character data in an HTML text box.  That is what I'm trying to figure out how to do.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by mainroad1 on 22-Jul-2017 13:46

Well the Angular suggestion took me by surprise.  I've never tried it.

Can you recommend an example that can be tested out in Telerik with OpenEdge?

[...]

Posted by mainroad1 on 23-Jul-2017 13:45

Thanks Peter.

I will look into the MVVM.  It may be what I've hunting for, but I need to try it out and prove that to myself.

Cheers,

gord.

This thread is closed