ABL Web App projects for Business Entity and Reports

Posted by William Antero on 10-Mar-2017 15:37

Hello,

I have been created an O.E. ABL Web App project in PASOE for my Business Entities and now I´ll created some reports for my app.

What´s the best practices for this situation? Create a new ABL Web App project with Rest Mapped or create a new ABL Service for Rest Mapped in the same project.

Best Regards,
William

Posted by egarcia on 12-Mar-2017 09:12

Hello William,

A way to see this is based on how you plan to deploy the services. If the services are independent, use different projects. If the services are meant to work together, create the services in the same project.

I noticed that you mentioned about a service for REST mapped.

just in case here is some additional info.

For a REST Service, you use an editor to map the URLs to methods and parameters.

For a WebHandler Service, you do the mapping via a WebHandler class that you can customize programmatically.

The Progress Data Service uses a prescriptive approach and integrates with the JSDO. It can use REST/WebHandler for the transport.

Here is some mode detail:

community.progress.com/.../24677

I hope this helps,

Edsel

Posted by Peter Willer on 10-Mar-2017 16:30

Hello William,

from my current view, you should better use WebHandlers in PASOE. This is not like a click and create easy project in eclipse.

There you can better control HTTP requests like GET and POST as you want and can map to any class or procedure with your flexible input/output.

There are so many ways.

Regards

Peter

All Replies

Posted by Peter Willer on 10-Mar-2017 16:30

Hello William,

from my current view, you should better use WebHandlers in PASOE. This is not like a click and create easy project in eclipse.

There you can better control HTTP requests like GET and POST as you want and can map to any class or procedure with your flexible input/output.

There are so many ways.

Regards

Peter

Posted by egarcia on 12-Mar-2017 09:12

Hello William,

A way to see this is based on how you plan to deploy the services. If the services are independent, use different projects. If the services are meant to work together, create the services in the same project.

I noticed that you mentioned about a service for REST mapped.

just in case here is some additional info.

For a REST Service, you use an editor to map the URLs to methods and parameters.

For a WebHandler Service, you do the mapping via a WebHandler class that you can customize programmatically.

The Progress Data Service uses a prescriptive approach and integrates with the JSDO. It can use REST/WebHandler for the transport.

Here is some mode detail:

community.progress.com/.../24677

I hope this helps,

Edsel

This thread is closed