Unable to 'Export' > 'Mobile Web Application&

Posted by Rom Elwell on 19-Feb-2016 17:01

OpenEdge 11.5.1

Windows 7 64-bit

Setup: In PDSOE Project Explorer, right-click on project and select 'Export' > 'Mobile Web Application'.  Choose the Mobile Project name, Destination, Server Type ('OE Web Server') and Mobile/REST services to include.  Choose the Mobile Web App to package with the service.  Click 'Finish'. 

Issue: The Export process begins but dies within a second.  The progress bar label briefly shows the text "Refreshing <PROJECT_NAME>/src" before it crashes.

Is there a log that I can view to determine why this Export is failing?

Posted by Rob Debbage on 23-Feb-2016 05:26

Hi Rom,

As Edsel noted, Mobile App Builder has been discontinued so you cannot export the full mobile application. However, you should still be able to export your services from the project.

In the Export > Mobile Web Application dialog, complete all fields except for the Mobile App drop-down. Set this to empty, e.g. de-select <projectName>App so that the Mobile App drop-down is blank.

The Export should now complete and generate a .WAR file containing your services, .json, etc.

Hope this helps,

Rob

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 20-Feb-2016 05:49

Hello,

There may be error messages on this in the Error Log: Help -> About Progress Developer Studio / Installation Details / Configuration.

(However, I tried to reproduce it and I did not see any messages related that would correspond to the export operation.)

My guess is that PDSOE is trying to access the Mobile App Builder server to update the Mobile Web Application to refresh the <PROJECT_NAME-App>/src folder under Mobile Apps.

However, the server is no longer available.

Are you aware that that the Mobile App Builder server was discontinued?

There was an announcement several months ago suggesting to move projects from the Mobile App Builder to Telerik Platform.

Have you looked at developing mobile apps with Telerik Platform?

Depending on your goals, a possible workaround would be to copy the mobile app files to a folder in PASOEContent and package it as static files of the service.

Please reply back with more info and we can talk about other suggestions.

I hope this helps.

Posted by Rob Debbage on 23-Feb-2016 05:26

Hi Rom,

As Edsel noted, Mobile App Builder has been discontinued so you cannot export the full mobile application. However, you should still be able to export your services from the project.

In the Export > Mobile Web Application dialog, complete all fields except for the Mobile App drop-down. Set this to empty, e.g. de-select <projectName>App so that the Mobile App drop-down is blank.

The Export should now complete and generate a .WAR file containing your services, .json, etc.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Posted by Rom Elwell on 23-Feb-2016 07:19

Edsel and Rob,  Thank you very much.  As the two of you have noted, I was caught not thinking critically about this issue.  Edsel, I was aware that Mobile App Builder was deprecated and we have indeed moved to a Telerik solution several months ago.  The issue was that I blindly followed our internal documentation for deployment without thinking about what I was doing. In hindsight, I can see that I should have put more consideration into my actions.  Rob astutely pointed to my error...I was still attempting to link the export to a Mobile App.  Thank you for the reminders.  :-)

This thread is closed