Am I exporting my mobile app/service properly for production

Posted by riche on 02-Jul-2015 14:48

Everything works fine, but I have to copy in from the server every time, so I'm wondering if I am doing it wrong.

I export the app by right-clicking on the mobile project | Export | Mobile Web Application

I export the service by right-clicking on the mobile project | Export | Rest Application

If I look in the war file for the service, it does not have the mobile folder

Which if I look in my running development server, has the json file

Whenever I update the service by placing the war file in the directory, after oerm does its job, I have to copy in the Mobile folder again.

All Replies

Posted by Shelley Chase on 02-Jul-2015 15:37

You need to select export as Mobile Service. It looks like you selected REST. 

-Shelley

On Jul 2, 2015, at 3:48 PM, "riche" <bounce-riche@community.progress.com> wrote:

Thread created by riche

Everything works fine, but I have to copy in from the server every time, so I'm wondering if I am doing it wrong.

I export the app by right-clicking on the mobile project | Export | Mobile Web Application

I export the service by right-clicking on the mobile project | Export | Rest Application

If I look in the war file for the service, it does not have the mobile folder

Which if I look in my running development server, has the json file

Whenever I update the service by placing the war file in the directory, after oerm does its job, I have to copy in the Mobile folder again.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by egarcia on 02-Jul-2015 15:50

Hello,

The behavior that you are seeing is not expected.

Is the JSON file (catalog) in the WebContent subdirectory in the project?

Either wizard can be used to export the selected service. (It is not shown as selected in the first screenshot, are you selecting the service?)

The "Export Mobile Web Application" wizard can also be used to export the Mobile App which contains the HTML/JS/CSS files you would export the Mobile App in this way for testing or if you were planning to run it as a web app. The HTML/JS/CSS for a Mobile app are packaged into the .ipa or .apk file.

If you are deploying the service to PASOE (port 8810, 8811), you would need to select server type "Pacific Application Server for OpenEdge". If you are planning to deploy to Tomcat (port 8980), you would select "OE Web Server".

BTW, I tried to reproduce this issue in my 11.5 environment and I was not able to. What version are you using?

Thanks.

Posted by riche on 06-Jul-2015 09:01

Yes, the JSON file is in the WebContent directory in the mobile project.

I played around some and found that exporting as a rest application and selecting the service just will not include the WebContent folder to create the Mobile directory.

I found only 2 ways to get this working.

I originally tried to export it as one app, which does work but only if I name it PicasMobileService. The only issue is that the run configuration needs to be manually configured (no biggie) and to get to it through a web client, it will have to go to that address instead of app.

Works. I can log in and use the app like normal, but pointing to the service.

Of course, I could get around this by changing my serviceURI's and catalogURI's to point to the app instead too. This would allow me to just export PicasMobileApp.

The other way is to export the app like I was, but for the service, to export this like I described in the last option and to call it PicasMobileService still. This allows us to use it without any modifications and to just put the war files in the webapps directory to deploy. Of course, this means that we actually deploy the app twice and it can be accessed from PicasMobileApp or PicasMobileService.

I guess that I was confused because I expected to be able to export just the mobile web service like we can export just the mobile web app.

OK, that was technically three options. Based on these findings, which is the best way to go? I assumed that the last option is the best because PDS separates them into the App and the Service. Plus, if I am just doing a mobile app, I don't actually need the app on the web server. I only have it there for my initial testing purposes to hammer out the major kinks before testing on mobile devices.

Thanks.

This thread is closed