jsdo open source?

Posted by agent_008_nl on 26-May-2015 12:18

There were plans to make the jsdo opene source. Any idea whan that could become real? Could motivate prospects to step in.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 27-May-2015 07:01

The CDO is a specification that defines an API and protocol to handle data synchronization for a remote service. We feel that this could be useful in other languages like Objective-C. The OSS community can contribute to this specification. 

The JSDO implements this specification in JavaScript. It can be used with any backend REST service. Of course the catalog would need to be created "by hand" if PDSOE is not used. 

HTH
Shelley

On May 27, 2015, at 2:11 AM, "agent_008_nl" <bounce-agent_008_nl@community.progress.com> wrote:

Reply by agent_008_nl

Thanks for your reactions. The CDO is new to me. If I understand the links correctly CDO is no more than a rebranding of JSDO? In that case I find JSDO a less cloudy /clearer name I must say, but there will be marketing reasons. Further more the JSDO is positioned as "an implementation of the CDO for a JavaScript"  (why "implementation"?)   "available for a browser or hybrid mobile client running against a Progress OpenEdge® server"  (clouddataobject.github.io/CDO). This is confusing for me also. Bill Wood assured I am not bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo community.progress.com/.../55518.aspx. I trusted that this is so, at least when I do not use the built in ablFilter community.progress.com/.../57662.aspx.

Regards, Stefan.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by mcmann on 26-May-2015 12:40

The Cloud Data Object and JSDO are now available on GitHub.

You can access it using clouddataobject.github.io/CDO

- Check out all of the links to see the repos in GitHub

- Any missing items will be deployed by EOD Saturday

The AppBuilder mobile template is available in both the Telerik Platform and on GitHub so users can easily create Mobile Apps that work with an OE server.

Posted by Marian Edu on 26-May-2015 12:32

Just saw a post from Edsel today... community.progress.com/.../18212.aspx

I agree the headline should have been JSDO open sourced but it's there in the post - github.com/.../lib

All Replies

Posted by Marian Edu on 26-May-2015 12:32

Just saw a post from Edsel today... community.progress.com/.../18212.aspx

I agree the headline should have been JSDO open sourced but it's there in the post - github.com/.../lib

Posted by mcmann on 26-May-2015 12:40

The Cloud Data Object and JSDO are now available on GitHub.

You can access it using clouddataobject.github.io/CDO

- Check out all of the links to see the repos in GitHub

- Any missing items will be deployed by EOD Saturday

The AppBuilder mobile template is available in both the Telerik Platform and on GitHub so users can easily create Mobile Apps that work with an OE server.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 27-May-2015 01:09

Thanks for your reactions. The CDO is new to me. If I understand the links correctly CDO is no more than a rebranding of JSDO? In that case I find JSDO a less cloudy /clearer name I must say, but there will be marketing reasons. Further more the JSDO is positioned as "an implementation of the CDO for a JavaScript"  (why "implementation"?)   "available for a browser or hybrid mobile client running against a Progress OpenEdge® server"  (clouddataobject.github.io/CDO). This is confusing for me also. Bill Wood assured I am not bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo community.progress.com/.../55518.aspx. I trusted that this is so, at least when I do not use the built in ablFilter community.progress.com/.../57662.aspx.

Regards, Stefan.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 27-May-2015 07:01

The CDO is a specification that defines an API and protocol to handle data synchronization for a remote service. We feel that this could be useful in other languages like Objective-C. The OSS community can contribute to this specification. 

The JSDO implements this specification in JavaScript. It can be used with any backend REST service. Of course the catalog would need to be created "by hand" if PDSOE is not used. 

HTH
Shelley

On May 27, 2015, at 2:11 AM, "agent_008_nl" <bounce-agent_008_nl@community.progress.com> wrote:

Reply by agent_008_nl

Regards, Stefan.

Posted by Marian Edu on 27-May-2015 07:37

Shelley, this means that eventually switching to odata as standard is now definitively ruled out? There are a bunch of vendors that can use odata (including kendo) and PSC (through Data Direct) is part of the committee defining the standard... what is the reason for yet another REST 'standard'?

Posted by Shelley Chase on 01-Jun-2015 06:31

Hi Marian,

OData is a transport protocol that the JSDO "could" use. We chose a simpler protocol to start. 
Remember the JSDO is much more than just a wire protocol. 
As we define new functionality, we are making it OData compliant as that is our future direction. With the JSDO Open sourced, someone in the community could do this. 

Shelley

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2015, at 8:37 AM, "Marian Edu" <bounce-medu@community.progress.com> wrote:

Reply by Marian Edu

Shelley, this means that eventually switching to odata as standard is now definitively ruled out? There are a bunch of vendors that can use odata (including kendo) and PSC (through Data Direct) is part of the committee defining the standard... what is the reason for yet another REST 'standard'?

This thread is closed