kendo & jsdo

Posted by agent_008_nl on 06-Jan-2015 05:49

Hi,

I looked at one of the components of kendo, the grid, and like the looks and clear, un-verbose configuration in the .html. See f.e. http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/grid/editing-inline . I heard psc is working on integration of kendo with the jsdo. That's great. My question is

1. Am I bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo?

2. Will psc make it easy to swich from jsdo to f.e. oData (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh237663.aspx) and  vice versa, so keep the config necessary in the .html as independent as possible from the datasourcetype? I would prefer to be able to config the datasourcetype in one place only.  At the moment kendo supports odata I suppose: http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/treeview/odata-binding.

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

Posted by egarcia on 23-Jan-2015 06:49

Hello,

Here is a sample program that you can use for demonstration purposes.

The key point here is that the transport property in the Kendo UI DataSource is configured with functions that perform the CRUD operations.

The functions can be customized if needed or moved into a separate JavaScript file to make the sample simpler.

You can see some examples in action at the following location:

Best regards.

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 06-Jan-2015 09:03

WRT

>> 1. Am I bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo?

Ans: the JSDO is a client side library that works with any cloud Data Service that provides a Catalog and supplies data as specified by the Catalog.   The JSDO does not 'know' or 'insist' that an OpenEdge AppServer provide the data or the Catalog.   Progress already has cloud Data Services implemented with Rollbase as the Data Service, and I have seen node.js implementations (prototypes) and heard of Java implementations.

The JSDO is not tied to an OpenEdge AppServer.

>> 2. Will psc make it easy to switch [Kendo UI] from jsdo to f.e. oData

As you did note, Progress supplies an OData databinding for the Kendo UI grid (and all data visualization components) already.   Adding a JSDO data source will not remove the OData one.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 07-Jan-2015 00:19

Thanks Bill, the answer on question one satisfies me but number two is not precise. In the treeview-example you see the datasourcetype defined, f.e.

  var OrderDetails = {

                       type: "odata",

                       transport: {

                           read: {  etc etc.

 No further reference in the .html to oData (like to the library). That's great, maybe the datasourcetype could even be defined globally, at a higher level, so it can be switched in one place.

My question was "Will psc make it easy to swich from jsdo to f.e. oData (see msdn.microsoft.com/.../hh237663.aspx) and  vice versa, so keep the config necessary in the .html as independent as possible from the datasourcetype? I would prefer to be able to config the datasourcetype in one place only.  At the moment kendo supports odata I suppose: demos.telerik.com/.../odata-binding."

                               url: function(options) {

Posted by Bill Wood on 07-Jan-2015 06:52

Sorry, if I misunderstood your question.  You were asking if 'psc will make it easy to switch from jsdo to OData" [in Kendo datasources].

From an OpenEdge and Rollbase perspective, adding a databinding that is similar to other databinding types (e.g. everlive, odata) is the direction we are pursuing.   Each databinding type has different transport parameteres though, so you do need to specify those uniquely for each type of databinding.    But I would expect that switching from everlive to OData would be similar to switching from JSDO to everlive, for example.

The specific URLs you provided did not seem to get into the 'transparent conversion' -- the Microsoft link is mostly a definition of what OData is.  It does define what is needed for an OData client --- and my understanding is that Kendo UI is evolving their OData client as the versions of OData extend, but it is a different client than f.e. Everlive, or JSON, (or JSDO).

Posted by agent_008_nl on 07-Jan-2015 07:22

Thanks, it's clear now.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Jan-2015 17:49

Hi Bill,

using the Kendo.UI grid with the jsdo as a simple read only data source is not that hard – even for JavaScript refusers like myself.

Does someone in Progress (or Telerik) already have a sample for the Kendo.UI grid with more advanced features like:

-          Batching/Server Paging/Virtualization of data

-          Updating

that’s sharable? Or is there a plan when such a sample will be made available.

Regards,
Mike

Posted by Shelley Chase on 07-Jan-2015 18:09

Hi Mike,

We are working on a custom Kendo UI datasource for the  JSDO. We are still working out the details but could share the specification with you once it is completed.

Thanks

-Shelley

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Jan-2015 18:15

Yes, please!

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet