kendo & jsdo

Posted by agent_008_nl on 06-Jan-2015 05:49

Hi,

I looked at one of the components of kendo, the grid, and like the looks and clear, un-verbose configuration in the .html. See f.e. http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/grid/editing-inline . I heard psc is working on integration of kendo with the jsdo. That's great. My question is

1. Am I bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo?

2. Will psc make it easy to swich from jsdo to f.e. oData (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh237663.aspx) and  vice versa, so keep the config necessary in the .html as independent as possible from the datasourcetype? I would prefer to be able to config the datasourcetype in one place only.  At the moment kendo supports odata I suppose: http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/treeview/odata-binding.

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

Posted by egarcia on 23-Jan-2015 06:49

Hello,

Here is a sample program that you can use for demonstration purposes.

The key point here is that the transport property in the Kendo UI DataSource is configured with functions that perform the CRUD operations.

The functions can be customized if needed or moved into a separate JavaScript file to make the sample simpler.

You can see some examples in action at the following location:

Best regards.

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 06-Jan-2015 09:03

WRT

>> 1. Am I bound to the progress appserver when I use the jsdo?

Ans: the JSDO is a client side library that works with any cloud Data Service that provides a Catalog and supplies data as specified by the Catalog.   The JSDO does not 'know' or 'insist' that an OpenEdge AppServer provide the data or the Catalog.   Progress already has cloud Data Services implemented with Rollbase as the Data Service, and I have seen node.js implementations (prototypes) and heard of Java implementations. 

The JSDO is not tied to an OpenEdge AppServer.

>> 2. Will psc make it easy to switch [Kendo UI] from jsdo to f.e. oData

As you did note, Progress supplies an OData databinding for the Kendo UI grid (and all data visualization components) already.   Adding a JSDO data source will not remove the OData one.  

Posted by agent_008_nl on 07-Jan-2015 00:19

Thanks Bill, the answer on question one satisfies me but number two is not precise. In the treeview-example you see the datasourcetype defined, f.e.

var OrderDetails = {

type: "odata",

transport: {

read: {  etc etc.

No further reference in the .html to oData (like to the library). That's great, maybe the datasourcetype could even be defined globally, at a higher level, so it can be switched in one place.

My question was "Will psc make it easy to swich from jsdo to f.e. oData (see msdn.microsoft.com/.../hh237663.aspx) and  vice versa, so keep the config necessary in the .html as independent as possible from the datasourcetype? I would prefer to be able to config the datasourcetype in one place only.  At the moment kendo supports odata I suppose: demos.telerik.com/.../odata-binding."

url: function(options) {

Posted by Bill Wood on 07-Jan-2015 06:52

Sorry, if I misunderstood your question.  You were asking if 'psc will make it easy to switch from jsdo to OData" [in Kendo datasources].    

From an OpenEdge and Rollbase perspective, adding a databinding that is similar to other databinding types (e.g. everlive, odata) is the direction we are pursuing.   Each databinding type has different transport parameteres though, so you do need to specify those uniquely for each type of databinding.    But I would expect that switching from everlive to OData would be similar to switching from JSDO to everlive, for example.

The specific URLs you provided did not seem to get into the 'transparent conversion' -- the Microsoft link is mostly a definition of what OData is.  It does define what is needed for an OData client --- and my understanding is that Kendo UI is evolving their OData client as the versions of OData extend, but it is a different client than f.e. Everlive, or JSON, (or JSDO).

Posted by agent_008_nl on 07-Jan-2015 07:22

Thanks, it's clear now.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Jan-2015 17:49

Hi Bill,

using the Kendo.UI grid with the jsdo as a simple read only data source is not that hard – even for JavaScript refusers like myself.

Does someone in Progress (or Telerik) already have a sample for the Kendo.UI grid with more advanced features like:

-          Batching/Server Paging/Virtualization of data

-          Updating

that’s sharable? Or is there a plan when such a sample will be made available.

Regards,
Mike

Posted by Shelley Chase on 07-Jan-2015 18:09

Hi Mike,

We are working on a custom Kendo UI datasource for the  JSDO. We are still working out the details but could share the specification with you once it is completed.

Thanks

-Shelley

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Jan-2015 18:15

Yes, please!

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: schase
Gesendet: ‎08.‎01.‎2015 00:10
An: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - Mobile] kendo & jsdo

Reply by schase

Hi Mike,

We are working on a custom Kendo UI datasource for the  JSDO. We are still working out the details but could share the specification with you once it is completed.

Thanks

-Shelley

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 08-Jan-2015 07:54

Shelley,

If you could share with me as well I would appreciate it!!

Thanks.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 08-Jan-2015 08:34

Hi Roger,

Absolutely. We can probably post it with the right caveats. I will talk with Product Management.

-Shelley

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 09-Jan-2015 08:50

Thank You.

Posted by gdb390 on 16-Jan-2015 03:35

Yesterday, I saw a demo of Roland De Pijper @ Progress Kick-Off for the Benelux and he presented a rather complete example with paging, batching, CRUD ...  so it's defnitively working :)

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Jan-2015 03:40

Hi,

hope that can be shared soon!

Cheers,
Mike
Von: gdb390 [mailto:bounce-gdb390@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 16. Januar 2015 10:36
An: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - Mobile] kendo & jsdo

Reply by gdb390

Yesterday, I saw a demo of Roland De Pijper @ Progress Kick-Off for the Benelux and he presented a rather complete example with paging, batching, CRUD ...  so it's defnitively working :)

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 16-Jan-2015 05:43

As far as I saw he only presented jsdo code for the read - of the whole table. That code was in the .html. Nice for a demo maybe, but the jsdo code should be generic and belongs in the js framework (where psc is working on I understood). He did one add-action but did you notice the customernumber did not get updated after the save? ;-)

So for now you can reinvent the wheel a bit for yourself, that's very educative. :-)

--

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

Posted by Bill Wood on 16-Jan-2015 06:07

I am not sure what he presented, but I know he had source code for a complete Kendo Datasource implementation (at least a prototype) that did support Edit/Delete/New as well as Read (all CRUD).

Posted by Bill Wood on 16-Jan-2015 06:09

WRT

>>  That code was in the .html. Nice for a demo maybe,

Comment.  Yes, it was intended to be nice for the demo.  We had had a discussion about what code to show in the limited time, and he wanted to show something simple and digestible --- what he showed is not how it would work as a product, but what he showed is something anyone should be able to follow and reproduce quickly.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 16-Jan-2015 06:28

I'll ask Roland if he wants to post the code in this thread. I made the read even simpler (swollen-headed

grin) btw :

jsdo.subscribe("AfterFill",

function afterFillCustomers (jsdo, success, request) {

jsdo.unsubscribe('AfterFill', arguments.callee);

<component>.setData(jsdo.getData());

},

this);

jsdo.fill();

Posted by Roland de Pijper on 16-Jan-2015 07:38

My example code was indeed more extended, main reason was to show how cool it is that you can use a ForEach on a temp-table (kind of) in the browser:

jsdo.subscribe('afterFill', function(jsdo, success, request) {

jsdo.unsubscribe('afterFill', arguments.callee);

var arr = [];

jsdo.ttCustomer.foreach(function(customer) {

arr.push({

CustNum: jsdo.ttCustomer.CustNum,

Name: jsdo.ttCustomer.Name,

State: jsdo.ttCustomer.State,

City: jsdo.ttCustomer.City

});

});

options.success(arr);

}, this);

jsdo.fill();

The example with update/delete is fully functional (in the demo i changed the customer name, resulting in a failure of my regression test in TestStudio), but can not be shared yet (as Bill mentioned). However i showed the next code snippets to give an idea how the future code, using a jsdo datasource type, could look like:

var dataSource = {

type: "jsdo",

transport: {

config: {

serviceURI: "http://localhost:8810/KickOff",

catalogURI: "http://localhost:8810/KickOff/static/mobile/KickOffService.json",

resourceName: "customer",

autoSync: false,

filter: ""

}

}

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 22-Jan-2015 12:04

Looking forward to some samples using the JSDO / Kendo UI grid for demonstration purposes.

Hope this can be shared anytime soon.

Regards, Simon.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 22-Jan-2015 12:16

Maybe offtopic but will Kendo UI be part of the PSDN license?

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Jan-2015 22:35

Wrt

Maybe offtopic but will Kendo UI be part of the PSDN license?

Product management would have to weigh in on this generally but for Kendo UI Core this is open source.  
In addition, there is Kendo UI Professional which includes many of the data visualization controls and that has a per-developer license.  Almost all the Telerik components are licensed per developer with no runtime cost. 

Posted by egarcia on 23-Jan-2015 06:49

Hello,

Here is a sample program that you can use for demonstration purposes.

The key point here is that the transport property in the Kendo UI DataSource is configured with functions that perform the CRUD operations.

The functions can be customized if needed or moved into a separate JavaScript file to make the sample simpler.

You can see some examples in action at the following location:

Best regards.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 24-Jan-2015 09:20

Ok, so the Pro version will not be part of the PSDN license?

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 24-Jan-2015 09:22

Thanks for the examples.

I managed to get a mobile backend working with the kendo ui grid and the jsdo.

Any suggestions for an IDE that works well with kendo ui?

Posted by Bill Wood on 24-Jan-2015 09:47

It is not CURRENTLY part of the PSDN license. That is all I know at this point. =

Posted by Bill Wood on 26-Jan-2015 05:23

WRT:

>>> Any suggestions for an IDE that works well with Kendo UI.

Comments:

I am not a Kendo expert, but Kendo UI is a JavaScript framework for HTML pages, and works with any IDE.  It is intended to work with your favorite Web/HTML5 tooling.   I did ask in the hallway, and the Kendo team really has no specific preferences and almost every editor is in use. 

It occurs to me that your question is really one that is just about Kendo.  I wanted to say that the best source for Kendo UI questions is the Telerik Community at http://www.telerik.com/forums.  (or www.telerik.com/.../kendo-ui).   I should also say that you need to purchase Kendo UI Professional to access this community (after the 30-day trial).  

For the Kendo UI Core, which is the open-source subset of Kendo UI, there is also help available on StackOverflow: stackoverflow.com/.../kendo-ui.

That being said, as an OpenEdge customer, you are probably most interested in those great data visualization controls for grids, charts, gauges, and trees, so you probably do want the Professional license anyway.  This gives you access to the Telerik forum which is where the Kendo UI team spends a significant amount of time answering user questions.

One more comment on IDE.   If you are looking specifically for an IDE aimed at Kendo UI and mobile development, then certainly look at Telerik Platform.  This is probably the best source for tooling around Kendo UI for web apps, hybrid, and native mobile and tablet applications.  The Telerik Platform license includes access to Kendo UI Professional, and also provides many IDE options including: interactive browser IDE, standalone IDE for Windows, and plugins for Visual Studio and Sublime Text.

Two other useful links for you as you get into Kendo UI:

• Telerik provides a "Telerik Kendo UI Chrome Inspector" (see the Chrome WebStore):  This is a Chrome Developer extension allowing you to inspect, debug, and troubleshoot pages containing Kendo controls.

• dojo.telerik.com: This is an interactive browser-based environment to help you get started with Kendo UI, and to share and test code snippets.

Thanks for the question.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 26-Jan-2015 07:08

>  I wanted to say that the best source for Kendo UI questions is the Telerik Community at

> http://www.telerik.com/forums.  (or www.telerik.com/.../kendo-ui).   I should also say that you need to purchase Kendo > UI Professional to access this community (after the 30-day trial).  

Maybe a new telerik group here would help us. The telerik guys could look and answer some questions there. Important to keep the fire hot I think. Thanks for your extensive answer.

This thread is closed