app not refreshing

Posted by mflanegan on 18-Dec-2014 04:41

Hi,

I have renamed my javascript function but my app is still looking for the old function when i click the button. I have tried clearing the cache on my local computer, I have restarted my computer, I have Logged out my mobile account and I have even restarted my appserver and Tomcat. I have a message that is meant to be displayed from that button as well and it does not show. has anyone got any ideas of something else I can try?

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 18-Dec-2014 06:37

Hello,

The first thought that comes to mind is that somehow the JavaScript file for the app (MyPhoneApp.js for example) was modified from the Source tab. Doing this would prevent changes to events from being generated into the JavaScript file.

Do you think that this might be what happened?

Here are some few suggestions for troubleshooting.

Try from a different web browser.

Export the app as HTML/JS/CSS sources to see what the MyPhoneApp.js contains.

(These sources are the same as the one used in the web browser but it would give you another perspective on it.)

Backup the app then create a copy of the project in the Mobile App Builder (using the same backend).

See the behavior when using the Test button with this copy.

I hope this helps.

Posted by mflanegan on 18-Dec-2014 06:45

Hi Edsel,

Ok let me give that a try. I can see that the .js file in the tomcat folder has not been updating since sometime early this morning when it should have been.

Thanks.

Meyrick Flanegan

Developer - Managed Services

Email: mflanegan@elcb.co.za

ELCB Information Services (Pty) Ltd

Customer Service Email  elcb@elcb.co.za · www.elcb.co.za

E A S T  L O N D O N

Tel: +27(43)  704 0700

Fax: +27(43) 704 0701

J O H A N N E S B U R G

Tel: +27(11) 879 6179

Fax: +27(11) 454 0384

P O R T  E L I Z A B E T H

Tel: +27(41) 373 0529

Fax: +27(86) 650 0135

Disclaimer

[collapse]
The first thought that comes to mind is that somehow the JavaScript file for the app (MyPhoneApp.js for example) was modified from the Source tab. Doing this would prevent changes to events from being generated into the JavaScript file.

Do you think that this might be what happened?

Here are some few suggestions for troubleshooting.

Try from a different web browser.

Export the app as HTML/JS/CSS sources to see what the MyPhoneApp.js contains.

(These sources are the same as the one used in the web browser but it would give you another perspective on it.)

Backup the app then create a copy of the project in the Mobile App Builder (using the same backend).

See the behavior when using the Test button with this copy.

I hope this helps.

Posted by mflanegan on 18-Dec-2014 07:03

I can see when I export the app, that the JavaScript is up to date.

My App Builder will not allow me to delete the application, so I will not be able to test that now.

I have tested from a different web browser and it behaves exactly the same.

[...]

Posted by mflanegan on 18-Dec-2014 07:22

I was able to delete the app. There is no change in behaviour when I recreate the app using the backup. I can see when I write the dataset to the console log, it is writing a new line character to each field (\n).

[...]

Posted by egarcia on 18-Dec-2014 09:13

Hello Meyrick,

Could you confirm if you are using the Test button from the Mobile App Builder or using Run from Progress Developer Studio?

Do you see a difference in behavior using the Test button from the Mobile App Builder?

Ok let me give that a try. I can see that the .js file in the tomcat folder has not been updating since sometime early this morning when it should have been.
I can see when I export the app, that the JavaScript is up to date.

These comments seem to suggest that the change is present in the Mobile App Builder but somehow the copy of the project that is available in Tomcat via Progress Developer Studio is not up to date. You could try updating it using the Copy Source Local option from the context menu of the mobile app.

I hope this helps.

Posted by mflanegan on 13-Jan-2015 03:09

Hi Edsel,

The copy source local is not changing any of the behaviour in the application. I've added a button with an alert message in it. The button displays when I run the application but the alert does not, even after I copy source local.

Regards,

Meyrick.

Posted by egarcia on 13-Jan-2015 08:30

Hello Meyrick,

You had mentioned that when you export t he app, the JavaScript is up to date.

I am guessing that when you run the app from the Mobile App Builder, the JavaScript is also up to date.

Since the problem them seems to be on the code that comes to Progress Developer Studio, either by running copy source local or by running the app from it, the issue seems to be that the REST request that is sent to the server to obtain the code fails.

This would require some debugging of the REST request.

I wonder if the log files in Progress Developer Studio would contain some information on this.

Alternatively, you could use some network debugging tools, like Fiddler ( http://www.telerik.com/fiddler ) to see if the command fails.

Perhaps, this is something that you could contact Technical Support to assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

I hope this helps.

This thread is closed