Authentication Error

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 11-Dec-2014 11:12

We are using basic authentication with our mobile app. If we use an incorrect user name/password the DefaultSession_Login error event will fire with a 401 unauthorized. This has worked fine for months. In our recent testing this still works fine when testing in a web browser (chrome). When I test on my iphone the error event does not fire. In fact the complete event does not even fire. I have enabled winre debugging and when using the web inspector there is no logging taking place for the DefaultSession_Login.

Any ideas as to why these events would not fire on iOS?

All Replies

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 11-Dec-2014 11:34

This works just fine on Andoid devices so it is just an iOS issue. I have tested on iPhone5 and iPod Touch with same result.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 11-Dec-2014 12:15

It also appears that using ssl does not work on iOS but does on Android. We have both ssl and non ssl setup in our office for testing. Android will work but for iOS we get service is unavailable. Something appears to be broken.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 11-Dec-2014 12:46

Hi Roger,

Did this work on iOS before the upgrade?

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 11, 2014, at 12:12 PM, "rblanchard" <bounce-rblanchard@community.progress.com> wrote:

Thread created by rblanchard

We are using basic authentication with our mobile app. If we use an incorrect user name/password the DefaultSession_Login error event will fire with a 401 unauthorized. This has worked fine for months. In our recent testing this still works fine when testing in a web browser (chrome). When I test on my iphone the error event does not fire. In fact the complete event does not even fire. I have enabled winre debugging and when using the web inspector there is no logging taking place for the DefaultSession_Login.

Any ideas as to why these events would not fire on iOS?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 11-Dec-2014 12:50

Yes, this was working previously. In fact, all of our testing was done this way and the majority of the testing occurs on iPod/iPad/iPhone. I am wondering if this issue is the same as the SSL issue I mentioned above.

Posted by Anil Kumar on 12-Dec-2014 03:54

Hi Roger,

I have verified this one against Android and iOS devices and seems there is a problem with Basic Authentication specific to iOS device. Also, observed that it is same with 3.0 external libraries.

From Weinre console it is observed that iOS call is in waiting state.

Performing Login operation without any credentials from Android device results in following response
Request URL :  http://<IP-Address>/BasicAuthCust/static/home.html
Status Code : 401 Unauthorized
Response:

<html> <body>
Unauthorized
</body> </html>

Performing Login operation without any credentials from iOS device results in following response
Request URL :  http://<IP-Address>/BasicAuthCust/static/home.html
No information related to response.

Note: This works fine for FORM based authentication. i.e., on failure of login (without valid credentials) proper error message is shown in the device

Android Device Specification :
Device                                  -              Samsung Galaxy Tab3
Model Number                 -              SM-T310
Android version                -              4.4.2

iOS device specification :
                Device                  -              iPad 3
                OS version          -              7.0.4

I have reported an issue for this and will let you know once the issue is resolved.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

[collapse]
From: rblanchard [mailto:bounce-rblanchard@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 12:21 AM
To: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - Mobile] Authentication Error

Reply by rblanchard

Yes, this was working previously. In fact, all of our testing was done this way and the majority of the testing occurs on iPod/iPad/iPhone. I am wondering if this issue is the same as the SSL issue I mentioned above.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

This thread is closed