Can you perform a search that is executed on the server and

Posted by jsniemi79 on 11-Nov-2014 14:24

I am building a mobile app and need the ability to search for certain values to limit the amount data being returned to the device.  I know I can use a list item and data filter to limit records on the client side, but I really need to be able to submit a value, like a name, and have it return only records matching that name.

Is this possible today?

Thank you in advance for your time.

All Replies

Posted by Gian Torralba on 11-Nov-2014 14:39

Hello,

Did you check this document explaining how to do a search in a Rollbase Mobile App? https://community.progress.com/.../971.aspx.

Thank you,

Gian

Posted by jsniemi79 on 11-Nov-2014 14:54

HI Gian,

I have used the data filter before which in this case, I believe, is just filtering the records in your list that are returned by your view.  When I ran through an example like that, I wasn't able to filter items that didn't show up on my first page, so the end user could not find the record they are looking for.  If I leave the rows per page value blank, it doesn't appear to bring back all my records anyway, which is good.  In this case, I am talking about 50,000 records that I need to be able to search through and return values by name.

In my example below, I set the rows per page to 3.  I have an account that returns on this list called AA Maintenance.  If I try and use the data filter from the list, I cannot get the value to return, because it wasn't one of the first 3.

Posted by Gian Torralba on 11-Nov-2014 15:17

Hello,

I see. I think you are right about the data filter search being a client side process only. Let me get back to you while I check if the server side search functionality already exist in the current Rollbase Mobile version.

Thanks,

Gian

Posted by jsniemi79 on 11-Nov-2014 15:20

Thanks Gian,

This app is running on 3.0.2, so if there is something in a newer version, please let me know.

Posted by jsniemi79 on 13-Nov-2014 08:39

Any luck on this Gian?  It is a huge issue for us and could be a show stopper with our current client as well as future clients if we can't perform a server side search.  We just can't take the performance hit of returning all these values when the dataset is so large.

Posted by jsniemi79 on 14-Nov-2014 09:45

Any thoughts on this one?  I really need to know if there is a way for me to hit an API in Rollbase from a mobile device that will allow me to search on the server rather than return all records.  This is a potential show stopper for my client.  Any response is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Posted by Anil Kumar on 14-Nov-2014 09:54

Hi jsniemi79,

In theory, this is possible using the selectQuery API provided by Rollbase. We can create a REST service in Mobile App Builder environment using the selectQuery API and appending the valid session (as mobile requires a valid session attribute to make REST call to Rollbase) in the REST call might do the trick (this method will perform the server side search). I haven’t tried this approach.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

[collapse]