Push Registration

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 21-Oct-2014 11:14

When enabling push notifications for a mobile app the device is registered with the PNS when first launched. You can see the device in the devices collection. When you uninstall the mobile app shouldn't this device be unregistered automatically? If not then you have a device in the devices collection that will never be deleted. Also, if you install the app a second time the deviceID is different so you will have another entry for the same device.

All Replies

Posted by Shelley Chase on 21-Oct-2014 11:22

Good point and that sounds logical to me. I will pass this questions on to the engineering team.

Thanks

-Shelley

Posted by Anil Kumar on 21-Oct-2014 14:31

Hi Roger,

I assume we also need to invoke Unregister REST API as part of the uninstalling the mobile app or unsubscribing from Push which will remove the entry from the associated Push database.

psh039

Request:

psh122

X-Progress-App-Id is a unique identifier of the Mobile App.
deviceID is a unique device identifier.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

[collapse]
From: rblanchard [mailto:bounce-rblanchard@community.progress.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:46 PM
To: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - Mobile] Push Registration

Thread created by rblanchard

When enabling push notifications for a mobile app the device is registered with the PNS when first launched. You can see the device in the devices collection. When you uninstall the mobile app shouldn't this device be unregistered automatically? If not then you have a device in the devices collection that will never be deleted. Also, if you install the app a second time the deviceID is different so you will have another entry for the same device.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 21-Oct-2014 14:35

I would think so...Thanks.

Posted by egarcia on 21-Oct-2014 15:27

Hello,

A couple of articles at Stack Overflow point to some information at Apple's developer site:

- stackoverflow.com/.../how-to-fire-an-event-on-uninstallation-of-an-iphone-app

- stackoverflow.com/.../clarification-on-apple-apns

Apple's developer site:

- developer.apple.com/.../ApplePushService.html

- developer.apple.com/.../CommunicatingWIthAPS.html

It seems that because there is no event on uninstall of an app, for PN, the feedback service can be used to check for failed notifications and then use this information to unregister the device.

Perhaps, this could be an enhancement to the PNS.

Thanks.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 22-Oct-2014 06:43

Lets not forget Android as well.

This thread is closed