iPhone 5 network/time/battery info at top of screen overlays

Posted by mainroad1 on 21-Feb-2014 18:26

Hello:

I'm using OpenEdge 11.3 on Windows7/8.

When I deploy my mobile app to an Android phone it looks good.

When I deploy my mobile app to an iPhone 5 the network/time/battery info at top of the iPhone screen overlays the app's header bar.

The overlay makes it difficult for iPhone users to push the back button in the header.

I've looked on the Appery web discussions and found:

https://getsatisfaction.com/apperyio/topics/header_truncated_on_ios_devices

which is from a year ago and promised a fix from Appery.

Has anyone else run into this problem with OpenEdge 11.3 Mobile App Builder?

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to work around or fix the problem?

Cheers,

gord.

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 21-Feb-2014 19:49

Hi Gord,

How are you building your .IPA?  Are you using the Export / Release Binary from OE Mobile? Or exporting the whole project to Apple's Xcode and building it yourself?

I am asking because last December I was working with a customer and he had the same issue as you.  After working together, I found that he was building it with Xcode, while I was using the Export Release (and I did not see that behavior).

Cheers,

Ricardo Perdigao

All Replies

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 21-Feb-2014 19:49

Hi Gord,

How are you building your .IPA?  Are you using the Export / Release Binary from OE Mobile? Or exporting the whole project to Apple's Xcode and building it yourself?

I am asking because last December I was working with a customer and he had the same issue as you.  After working together, I found that he was building it with Xcode, while I was using the Export Release (and I did not see that behavior).

Cheers,

Ricardo Perdigao

Posted by mainroad1 on 22-Feb-2014 00:36

Hello RIcardo:

I'm exporting the project to a miniMac and building it with Apple Xcode.  Did your customer abandon this method or was a workaround found?

Cheers,

gord.

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 22-Feb-2014 00:40

The customer started using the Cloud builder from OE Mobile.  Any reason you building it yourself?

Posted by mainroad1 on 22-Feb-2014 02:02

I'm using Apple Xcode because it's the only method I have that will install the app on an iPhone.  I've tried loading the .ipa from Mobile App Builder to iPhone via a QR reader or by dropping it into iTunes, but so far had no luck with those methods.  It's interesting, though, to learn that the problem I'm seeing may be specific to Xcode...

Posted by bharold on 22-Feb-2014 12:11

Ricardo,

I have similar issue.   We can not use cloud builder because it is not supporting Xcode 5.  

Please see this Thread community.progress.com/.../8925.aspx

I wish Progress will release new Apperry version ASAP.  

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 22-Feb-2014 16:17

You Cloud build should work.  If I had to guess, the reason it is not working is most likely an incorrect Provisioning Profile (one that does not list your phone).  When you do it with Xcode, it might be using the Certificate/Provisioning Profile from Xcode.  Just a guess ...

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 22-Feb-2014 16:23

> I have similar issue.   We can not use cloud builder because it is not supporting Xcode 5.  

Are you in the process of publishing it to the Apple Store?  If you are, yes it is an issue!  I saw this workaround in the past, but have not tried it myself. Let us know the workaround would work:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18886195/ios-7-status-bar-overlapping-ui

> I wish Progress will release new Apperry version ASAP.

That make two of us :)  I have asked the Prodcut Manager about it and they are working on it.

Regards,

Ricardo Perdigao

Posted by mainroad1 on 23-Feb-2014 13:07

Based on what I've learned I'm going to look deeper into Xcode to see if I can find an immediate fix.  In the longer term I'll look again at my Apple certificates, profiles, provisioning, and whatever other software licensing they require to see if I can get builds from OE Mobile App Builder working on my iPhone.  Hopefully Xcode will be the quick fix to get development back on track and later on I can pursue the better (and more painful fix) with Apple licensing.  If I'm lucky Progress will have added Xcode 5 support to Mobile App Builder by the time I'm ready to use it for Apple builds.  Thanks to everyone who replied.

gord.

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 23-Feb-2014 18:59

Gord,

If you need help setting the Cloud builder (Certificate/Provisioning Profile/etc.) let me know and I would help you.  I can schedule a 1 hour remote session with you and we can get it done ... My schedule is insane this week, but I might find time on Friday.

Ricardo Perdigao  (rperdiga@progress.com)

Posted by gvtsstaggs on 24-Feb-2014 15:48

Having gone through the exact same issue recently, I thought I'd provide my two cents. We build our iOS app through xCode as well, and the way we got rid of the status bar was to modify the appName-info.plist. Ours is found via the path in Xcode of "appName/Supporting Files/appName-info.plist". With this file open, I was able to add an entry with the key of "View controller-based status bar appearance", Type of "Boolean", and Value of "No".

Xcode version: 5.0.2

OSX version: 10.9.1

Hope this helps.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 24-Feb-2014 16:29

I have confirmed with the appery team that this is a bug that will be fixed in a future release.

Ricardo - thank you for the work around. Sorry to all for the inconvenience.

-Shelley

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 27-Feb-2014 10:29

Gvtsstaggs,

Thanks for the post! Great information !

Shelley,

Thanks for looking into this for us. 

Warm Regards,

Posted by mainroad1 on 28-Feb-2014 18:11

Appery has posted their workaround.  It can be seen at:

getsatisfaction.com/.../header_overlap_with_iphone_status_bar_as_shown_in_screen_shot

It is very similar to the solution posted by Gvtsstaggs.

With some paraphrasing it reads as:

It's a known issue. The workaround for now is to hide status bar.

To do that you would need to change settings in *.plist and set:

"View controller-based status bar appearance" : NO

“Status bar is initially hidden“ : YES

We're working on fix.

In Mobile App Builder you can find the .plist file on the Source tab under:

ios/projectName/projectName/projectName-Info.plist

and change (or add) the following lines so that it looks like this

<key>UIStatusBarHidden</key>

<true/>

<key>UIViewControllerBasedStatusBarAppearance</key>

<false/>

Posted by Ricardo Perdigao on 28-Feb-2014 20:16

Awesome information MainRoad1! Thanks!

Posted by egarcia on 02-Mar-2014 05:33

Hello,

I just wanted to mention that the UIStatusBarHidden setting is available in the Project settings: Project->App settings->iOS keys.

Thanks.

This thread is closed