Server 500 error when GETting data from an Business via REST

Posted by bronco on 21-Jan-2014 07:13

Hi,

When trying to get data from a REST (mobile) service I get the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.cxf.interceptor.Fault: null while invoking public void SysUser.fv_system_SysUserRBE__ReadSysUserRBE_GET(java.lang.String) with params [com.progress.adapters.rest.message.impl.RestRequestMessageImpl@d4f234].

Does anyone have a clue what causes this? 

OE 11.3.1 on Win7 x64

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 21-Jan-2014 07:19

Is any security mode enabled for this REST Application ?

Posted by bronco on 21-Jan-2014 07:23

nope, I'm using /WEB-INF/appSecurity-anonymous.xml

Start simple :-)

Posted by Ganesh Cherivirala on 21-Jan-2014 07:27

Could you please check any exception trace logged in REST service log and broker log files.

Posted by Donicello Lampe on 21-Jan-2014 07:31

I have seen this before when there is an issue with the generated .paar file. It has the definitions for the Web application. Assuming you are still testing this within your Developer Studio, then can you check if there is a .restoe file located in %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters\MyMobileWebService\stagingDir\ ? The .paar file is extracted into this directory.

Posted by Irfan on 21-Jan-2014 07:31

Let us look at the appserver logs. Do you see any exception in the restbroker1.server.log while executing the business logic.

Regards,
Irfan

On Jan 21, 2014 6:53 PM, bfvo <bounce-bfvo@community.progress.com> wrote:
Reply by bfvo

nope, I'm using /WEB-INF/appSecurity-anonymous.xml

Start simple :-)

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by knavneet on 21-Jan-2014 07:50

Hi -

REST Log file would be the first place to start with. Then look at the broker logs.

1. Please look at %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters\logs\*.log

2. If the log doesn't give substantial information increase the logging level by opening  %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters\runtime.props and setting serviceLoggingLevel to 4

<bpm:serviceLoggingLevel>4</bpm:serviceLoggingLevel>

Restart Tomcat and try to invoke the method again. See if the log gives any clue now.

If this doesn't give any information, look at restbroker1.server.log and restbroker1.broker.log in the AppServer WRKDIR (assuming you are connecting to broker named restbroker1).

HTH,

Navneet

Posted by bronco on 22-Jan-2014 01:44

@donicello: although there's no staging dir, I did find the .restoe file in the System.paar file (in the %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters\System). In this file I found:

<pidl:operation name="bfv.system.SysUserRBE..ReadSysUserRBE" pattern="www.progress.com/.../request-response">

<pidl:input messageLabel="filter" req="false" type="java:String"></pidl:input>

<pidl:output messageLabel="dsuser" req="false" type="java:Object"></pidl:output>

</pidl:operation>

This is pretty much what I expect.

Posted by Irfan on 22-Jan-2014 01:50

The staging directory should be created(if the tomcat server is running). If it is not created then it means that your service is not started properly. Can you access your service WADL information from the browser

URL - http://localhost:8980/<Servicename>/rest

Posted by bronco on 22-Jan-2014 02:01

There's however a staging dir in %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\WEB-INF.

BTW, the AppServer is never reached, so there's no point in raising the AppServer logfile.

Posted by bronco on 22-Jan-2014 02:03

Yes, http://localhost:8980/<Servicename>/rest returns the wadl

Posted by Irfan on 22-Jan-2014 02:34

Then the only place left out for traces would be the REST Application logs. Can you please look at the log file in webapps/<REST Service>/WEB-INF/adapters/logs

if you do not see anything even in the REST Application logs, then you can try redeploying the Application and invoke the service.

Posted by knavneet on 22-Jan-2014 04:24

Here's some more information that might help you troubleshoot.

In 11.3.1, in order to make deployment faster, PDS OE deploys the .war file into  %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe folder and not in the  %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps folder.

So when  you publish "MyMobileWebService" from PDS OE you must see MyMobileWebService folder and MyMobileWebService.war in %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe. There will also be a configuration descriptor (refer tomcat.apache.org/.../deployer-howto.html ) in %DLC%\servers\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost with the name MyMobileWebService.xml

You must look for logs, paar and staging dir into %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\MyMobileWebService folder. This will your doc base.

You have mentioned that you found a .restoe file in the System.paar file (in the %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters\System ). Something looks wrong here.

You should have MyMobileWebService folder either in  %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps or %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe. Not in both the locations. So, delete MyMobileWebService.war and folder from %DLC%\servers\tomcat\webapps. Restart tomcat and send you invoke request.

Verify that %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters folder has a logs folder which contains a MobileWebService.log (you can look at its content). By your post I understand that you .paar is named System.paar. So you must have a stagingDir inside %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters\System folder (when the Tomcat is running). If it is not there, look at the %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\web.xml and search for your paar name under following context-param :

===

<context-param>

<param-name>archiveFiles</param-name>

<param-value>System.paar</param-value>

</context-param>

===

Since, you got a _wadl output at /rest, it means that the staging dir must be created. The application log at %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF\adapters\log will tell you whether the REST Adapter was able to process REST request and extract the parameter values properly (you might want to increase the serviceLoggingLevel to 4 for a detailed log).

Also, there must be no %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\WEB-INF folder, so I guess you meant %DLC%\servers\tomcat\pdsoe\MyMobileWebService\WEB-INF..

Posted by bronco on 22-Jan-2014 05:04

Thanks for clearing that out. In all my attempts it has become a bit of a mess so I started all over. To no avail, I still get the original message. I raised the logging level but basically the same information is displayed. Just before the Java stack trace there are the following two lines:

2014-01-22 12:00:44.106 [DEBUG][REST] Entering route :: ExecuteIN

2014-01-22 12:00:44.106 [TRACE][REST] Unloading OESpringSecurityContext in RestBinding

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 22-Jan-2014 05:26

The 500 error is a general response that can originate from a number of sources, including simply not being able to connect to the AppServer.   There is a sequence of debugging checks that starts with the web server and proceeds through the REST service and down to the AppServer.   If the information supplied so far has not helped you find the source of the 500 response, perhaps it is time to take this off-line with technical support who can do a more detailed end-to-end evaluation and debugging of your environment.

Posted by bronco on 22-Jan-2014 07:36

I see your point. One more try however.

I'm trying to call:

@openapi.openedge.export(type="REST", useReturnValue="false", writeDataSetBeforeImage="false").
@progress.service.resourceMapping(type="REST", operation="read", URI="?filter=~{filter~}", alias="", mediaType="application/json").
method public void ReadSysUserRBE(filter as character, output dataset dsuser):

Just a basic READ method (of the CRUD methods).

if I take a look in the mapping.xml in the staging dir however I see no corresponding mapping for the filter parameter:

<mapping:MappingBean id="mapping" xmlns:mapping="http://www.progress.com/caf/mapping1.0">
<![CDATA[<mapping:messageMapping xmlns:conditional="http://www.progress.com/caf/mapping1.0/conditional" xmlns:mapping="http://www.progress.com/caf/mapping1.0">
<mapping:mapInput/>
<mapping:mapOutput>
<conditional:conditionalRuleSet>
<conditional:if condition="${(rest.resourcename == 'SysUserRBE') and (rest.operationname == 'bfv.system.SysUserRBE..ReadSysUserRBE') and (rest.verb == 'GET')}">
<mapping:rule source="${idl.param['dsuser']}" target="${http.body}"/>
</conditional:if>
</conditional:conditionalRuleSet>
</mapping:mapOutput>
</mapping:messageMapping>]]>
</mapping:MappingBean>

Is this correct or should there be a mapping for the filter (input) parameter as well? The stack is trying to tell something about parameters. 

Posted by Ganesh Cherivirala on 22-Jan-2014 08:02

Yes, the generated mapping is the correct one.

Mapping XML won't generate the mapping, if parameter name are similar (in Paramater and Request section as below screen shot) i.e. CustID.
The mappings rules are implicitly executed by Runtime.

If parameters names are differ or if we map to http body, tooling will generate the mapping in the mapping.xml file.

Hope it helpful!

Regards,
Ganesh

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:07 PM
To: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: Server 500 error when GETting data from an Business via REST

RE: Server 500 error when GETting data from an Business via REST
Reply by bfvo

I see your point. One more try however.

I'm trying to call:

@openapi.openedge.export(type="REST", useReturnValue="false", writeDataSetBeforeImage="false").
@progress.service.resourceMapping(type="REST", operation="read", URI="?filter=~{filter~}", alias="", mediaType="application/json").
method public void ReadSysUserRBE(filter as character, output dataset dsuser):

Just a basic READ method (of the CRUD methods).

if I take a look in the mapping.xml in the staging dir however I see no corresponding mapping for the filter parameter:

<mapping:MappingBean id="mapping" xmlns:mapping="http://www.progress.com/caf/mapping1.0">
<![CDATA[<mapping:messageMapping xmlns:conditional="http://www.progress.com/caf/mapping1.0/conditional" xmlns:mapping="http://www.progress.com/caf/mapping1.0">
<mapping:mapInput/>
<mapping:mapOutput>
<conditional:conditionalRuleSet>
<conditional:if condition="${(rest.resourcename == 'SysUserRBE') and (rest.operationname == 'bfv.system.SysUserRBE..ReadSysUserRBE') and (rest.verb == 'GET')}">
<mapping:rule source="${idl.param['dsuser']}" target="${http.body}"/>
</conditional:if>
</conditional:conditionalRuleSet>
</mapping:mapOutput>
</mapping:messageMapping>]]>
</mapping:MappingBean>

Is this correct or should there be a mapping for the filter (input) parameter as well? The stack is trying to tell something about parameters. 

[/collapse]

Posted by bronco on 05-Feb-2014 14:29

It turned out that the restoe file wasn't generated and therefor not present in the .paar file. It's a project setting in the build section. Question is why this isn't turned on by default when you start a REST or Mobile project. A more informative exception would help as well.

Posted by Ganesh Cherivirala on 06-Feb-2014 01:14

Could you please share the project.

[collapse]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 2:00 AM
To: TU.Mobile@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: Server 500 error when GETting data from an Business via REST

Reply by bfvo

It turned out that the restoe file wasn't generated and therefor not present in the .paar file. It's a project setting in the build section. Question is why this isn't turned on by default when you start a REST or Mobile project. A more informative exception would help as well.

[/collapse]

Posted by Donicello Lampe on 06-Feb-2014 02:25

Are you referring to the "Generate REST invocation files" option in Project Properties -> Progress OpenEdge -> Build ? If not, can you please provide the specific option in question ?

Posted by bronco on 11-Feb-2014 02:14

[mention:52bf50c6d46847059bd782ee700fdefc:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] : yes, that was what I was refering to. Somehow the default is "off" when creating a new mobile (or REST) project.

BTW, Sorry for the late reply, I don't receive notifications that a new message has been written in the thread (I believe that feature was turned off)

Posted by Bill Wood on 11-Feb-2014 04:02

With respect to:

> I don't receive notifications that a new message has been written in the thread (I believe that feature was turned off)

I get emails now as do many others. I believe it was originally turned on automatically for everyone, but many members of the Community felt that this was too much like spam.

The email feature is now operating but you need to "opt in". If you go to the Individual Forums you should see

EMAIL INFORMATION
Email this forum
Subscribed: Yes=

Posted by bronco on 11-Feb-2014 06:38

OK thanks, but it's quite common in fora to get notifications only for the threads you took part in.

Posted by Donicello Lampe on 11-Feb-2014 10:15

That's strange, it is indeed off by default, but so far I have had no issues with a missing .restoe in my generated .paar files. If it was a common issue I would have expected to see this problem more often, but so far you are the 2nd person that I know of who reported this issue. Thanks for confirming the solution though, it's something for us to look into.

Posted by bronco on 12-Feb-2014 12:56

Some extra info: I've seen the original error on 3 different machines (2 laptops, 1 VM). It happened with both 11.3.1 & 11.3.2.

If I may suggest: I think some more time needs to be spent on exception handling. This error, but also when for example when the AppServer is not running, could be handled with clear & descriptive messages in the log file, insetad of not so obvious stack traces / nested exceptions. This would make the life of both developer and techsupport easier.

Anyway, case closed. Thanks for thinking along with me.

This thread is closed