OpenEdge Mobile licensing for end-user (company)

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 28-Oct-2013 06:46

Hello,

Which OpenEdge license must acquire a company that will use a mobile application created via OpenEdge Mobile?

for example 

OE Mobile JSDO Adapter?

or

OE Application Server Enterprise/Basic Edition ?

What are the licensing requirements for the customer (not for developers)?

Regards,

Valeriy

Posted by John Goodland on 28-Oct-2013 06:55

Hi Valeriy,

My understanding is (assuming your Progress backend) DB, OE Application Server and JSDO adapter. Personally, I think, the JSDO adapter cost  should be removed to help us compete against other apps.

Hopefully they will change this moving forward.

Posted by Ankur Goyal on 29-Oct-2013 10:40

Hi Valeriy,

As John suggested, assuming you're using Progress back end, you would need a JSDO license and an Application server license. Depending on the type of user, the JSDO license could either be named, concurrent or access agent.

Also, depending on the type of end user, the company would either purchase these licenses directly from Progress, or through their partner.

Thanks

Ankur

All Replies

Posted by John Goodland on 28-Oct-2013 06:55

Hi Valeriy,

My understanding is (assuming your Progress backend) DB, OE Application Server and JSDO adapter. Personally, I think, the JSDO adapter cost  should be removed to help us compete against other apps.

Hopefully they will change this moving forward.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 29-Oct-2013 02:52

Hi John,

Thank you!

Another question. The number of JSDO licenses  must be equal to the number of  AppServer licenses  or  is need purchased only for the number of mobile users?

I also think that the JSDO adapter cost should be removed otherwise it will be difficult to promote these solutions against a wide variety of Open Source technologies

Regards,

Valeriy

Posted by John Goodland on 29-Oct-2013 03:15

I have three different price brands for the JSDO, concurrent, named and product.

Posted by Ankur Goyal on 29-Oct-2013 10:40

Hi Valeriy,

As John suggested, assuming you're using Progress back end, you would need a JSDO license and an Application server license. Depending on the type of user, the JSDO license could either be named, concurrent or access agent.

Also, depending on the type of end user, the company would either purchase these licenses directly from Progress, or through their partner.

Thanks

Ankur

Posted by Ankur Goyal on 29-Oct-2013 10:42

Hi John,

Can you elaborate a little on why the JSDO adapter cost should be removed? What are you seeing in the market?

Thanks

Ankur

Posted by John Goodland on 29-Oct-2013 11:06

In the case of OpenMobile Expenses….

This is an extension of the back office functionality eg users can complete expenses via a desktop or mobile hence same functionality but different access point.

Our app specifically allows the user to create expense claims that are sync’d with eBIS for the actual expense claim form to be created and submitted hence from an licensing perspective Progress already get the eBIS licence element.

The mobile app should increase the sales of the overall expenses solution incorporating the back office.

Our competition price their offerings per user regardless of the entry point.

The cost of the adapter is prohibitive, for example using their named licence model, we had an opportunity the other day for a 1000 users – adapter price would have been £26K!   (based on £26 per named user)    

This thread is closed