Multi-user and multi-app development with OEMobile

Posted by asthomas on 22-Mar-2013 11:10

Here goes with a combination of some observations with OE Mobile and something to think about for using this in larger development projects.

So, we have spent quite some time now trying to work through the documentation and get the samples working for the OE Mobile stuff. This has been with varied success, especially when trying to do something a little out of the box, like using AppServer names, Name Server port numbers and OE WebServers that are not the default ones used in the samples and documentation. (I *almost* have this worked out now...). We still have to get it working with 11.2 FCS and running the mobile app from something other than localhost.

I think, that combined with the varied stability of managing the server processes (REST Broker and OE Web Server in particluar), depending on whether you are using PDSOE, OE Management or command line tools, that environment setup and management are going to be a challenge.

I can see that if you have things working as a single developer using PDSOE and one OE WebServer for your project(s), that you can have multiple apps working against the same OE WebServer. But, how would you handle a development environment with multiple users working on the same application, where changes need to be published regularly to the tomcat environment?

I cannot see that multiple users with their own PDSOE projects will be able to do this, as they are very likely to strangle the tomcat environment.

What is the recommended strategy for this?

Would it be to turn off the publishing from PDSOE and do it some other way on a regular basis with scripts? And in that case, are there scripts for this?

Would it be to have a "master" PDSOE project somewhere that is used for building and publishing? All developers could then either be pushing their code into this project location or they could be using something like Roundtable to manage a central directory structure.

Would you have individual OE WebServers for each Mobile App?

What are people's thoughts on all this?

Regards

Thomas

All Replies

Posted by asthomas on 03-Apr-2013 11:55

Has no-one really got any considerations or thoughts on how to handle multi-user development of mobile apps?

Posted by jmls on 03-Apr-2013 12:03

yes. it's going to be hard.

This thread is closed