Editing of JavaScript files

Posted by Admin on 04-Apr-2013 16:32

Looks like JavaScript files that in Tiggzi appear under the "JavaScript" node in the project explorer are kept within the Progress Developer Studio project folder src/files/views/assets/js under the mobile app. Is it o.k. to edit those files in PDSOE? Should I close the Tiggzi Mobile AppBuilder while doing so? Any recommendation?

All Replies

Posted by andrew.thornton@redprairie.com on 04-Apr-2013 16:33

Sorry I missed your email. I am out of the office until Tuesday 9th April with little access to email.

Thanks, Andrew

Posted by ydevatra on 05-Apr-2013 00:59

Syncing Tiggzi source is only one way from Tiggzi to PDSOE project, other way round is not supported. It means if you edit any of the synced Tigzzi sources in PDSOE, it doesn't sync to Tiggzi cloud project. Moreover these local modified files get overridden when you sync sources locally next time.

Hope this answer your query.

Thanks

Yogesh Devatraj

Posted by Admin on 05-Apr-2013 11:18

Hope this answer your query.

Technically yes!

However, as Eclipse offers way more usability while editing and navigating source code, it would be a very nice feature to allow editing JavaScript code within Eclipse. I'm expecting that in a complex Mobile application there's going to be quite some JavaScript code involved.

Is that already considered an enhancement for a future release?

Other users with a similar POV?

Posted by egarcia on 05-Apr-2013 12:37

The advantage of the having the files in the Mobile App Builder is that you can access them from anywhere.

Depending on your requirements, you could have the JavaScript files defined as external resources. (In the Mobile App Builder: Project->App settings->External resources)

You could have these files in an Eclipse project and use Eclipse to edit them.

I hope this helps.

Posted by Admin on 05-Apr-2013 13:03

The advantage of the having the files in the Mobile App Builder is that you can access them from anywhere.

But that's also the only advantage I see. One should not sacrifice usability = developer productivity for being accessible from everywhere.

Eclipse offers collapsible blocks, editor macros, block selection, SCM integration (diff against previous version), ...

And having them accessible from everywhere can also be ensured using a proper SCM solution. Together with Thomas Hansen's yet unanswered question about multi-developer setups this questions the suitability of the Mobile AppBuilder for larger projects.

Depending on your requirements, you could have the JavaScript files defined as external resources.

... which would require an extra step to deploy them to a web server for every test run

Another question: When referencing external libraries, will they also be built into the mobile app package or would they always be loaded from the remote location? In the latter case that might also cause a performance degradation.

As you can pull them from Tiggzi to PDSOE, I believe that a push option for selected resource files from PDSOE to Tiggzi would solve a lot of usability issues.

Posted by egarcia on 05-Apr-2013 14:43

Depending on your requirements, you could have the JavaScript files defined as external resources.

... which would require an extra step to deploy them to a web server for every test run

You could add your directory in Eclipse as a virtual directory in your web server,

Another question: When referencing external libraries, will they also be built into the mobile app package or would they always be loaded from the remote location? In the latter case that might also cause a performance degradation.

As you can pull them from Tiggzi to PDSOE, I believe that a push option for selected resource files from PDSOE to Tiggzi would solve a lot of usability issues.

The external resources are not in the Mobile App Builder. When you build a .ipa file or a .apk file they would not be included.

Yes, I see that having a push option for selected resource files would be useful.

Posted by asthomas on 06-Apr-2013 01:28

+++++1 Mike!

Regards / Med Venlig Hilsen 

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by tyagi.ankit40 on 17-Apr-2013 07:07

yup, it would be great if i can edit my js in the eclipse and sync it to Tiggzi

Posted by Admin on 17-Apr-2013 07:13

Any chance to get feedback from product management?

It cannot be a big thing to implement. But would increase developer productivity a lot!

Posted by tyagi.ankit40 on 17-Apr-2013 07:17

yes. It will help a lot to easily customize the in-built things too.

Posted by brianpreece on 17-Apr-2013 11:04

This gets my vote too. Soo many lacks in Tiggzi, the worst of which is losing your edit without warning if you forget to save. Code completion would be nice too

Posted by Robert-Prediger on 17-Apr-2013 13:25

+++++1 Mike!

Same opinion as Mike and Thomas.

Best regards

Robert

This thread is closed