Setting the DefaultIsolationLevel on the OE ODBC Driver

Posted by chrisrichardson on 20-Mar-2018 11:40

Is there a way to default the DefaultIsolationLevel on the ODBC driver to "READ UNCOMMITTED"? 

At present when you create a User DSN, it defaults to "READ COMMITTED".

Windows, OE 11.7 64 & 32 bit ODBC drivers

Posted by Avadhoot Kulkarni on 22-Mar-2018 09:14

Chris, if I am not missing something, Tableau should also use thd ODBC DSN while setting up the connection. This is the Tableau Article which shows how to connect to ODBC Datasources using DSNs.

onlinehelp.tableau.com/.../examples_otherdatabases.html

So, if you update the ODBC DSN like Kiley said above and then use that DSN in Tableau, this should be resolved.

All Replies

Posted by Libby Krause on 21-Mar-2018 08:48

You can set the Default Isolation Level on the ODBC data source Advanced tab:

media.datadirect.com/.../

Posted by chrisrichardson on 21-Mar-2018 10:42

Thanks LIbby.  My user is actually using the driver via Tableau (direct connection) and is not using a DSN.  Tableau appears not to have the option to override the connection string (it just asks for the basic info - host, port, user)  so I was hoping to be able to change the default isolation level on the driver itself.

Posted by Phil on 21-Mar-2018 11:33

Hi - have you tried to set the value via the "Initial SQL" link on Tableau's logon dialog?  I believe you could populate that dialog with something like "SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED"

Phil

Posted by Phil on 21-Mar-2018 12:39

A colleague of mine pointed out that this would cause a conflict between the isolation level as the server sees it, and what the driver would believe it to be; so this "Initial SQL" fix isn't a good idea.

Apologies,

Phil

Posted by Avadhoot Kulkarni on 22-Mar-2018 09:14

Chris, if I am not missing something, Tableau should also use thd ODBC DSN while setting up the connection. This is the Tableau Article which shows how to connect to ODBC Datasources using DSNs.

onlinehelp.tableau.com/.../examples_otherdatabases.html

So, if you update the ODBC DSN like Kiley said above and then use that DSN in Tableau, this should be resolved.

Posted by chrisrichardson on 26-Mar-2018 09:59

Yep tested the DSN option and that works OK, thanks.

This thread is closed