SSIS to OpenEdge Progress JDBC Connection - The Dilemma

Posted by themochael on 07-Aug-2015 11:10

I have an ETL process that is pulling data from a MSSQL database and sending to flatfile for load into our Progress Databases.  I would really like to connect directly to the Progress database and load.  Is this possible using DataDirect?  I can't seem to get it to work.

Any assistance would make you amazing!

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Aug-2015 11:24

You may want to check out pro2

http://www.bravepoint.com/products-pro2-replication-suite.shtml

It's now a Progress Software product.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: themochael
Gesendet: ‎07.‎08.‎2015 18:11
An: TU.DD.Connect@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - DataDirect Connect] SSIS to OpenEdge Progress JDBC Connection - The Delimma

Thread created by themochael

I have an ETL process that is pulling data from a MSSQL database and sending to flatfile for load into our Progress Databases.  I would really like to connect directly to the Progress database and load.  Is this possible using DataDirect?  I can't seem to get it to work.

Any assistance would make you amazing!

Posted by themochael on 07-Aug-2015 11:45

This is a great idea, however, by the time i make it through purchasing i may be retired.  Are there any alternatives?

Posted by Bruce Rudd on 07-Aug-2015 13:01

We do have ODBC and JDBC drivers for OpenEdge.  If you're getting the data via SSIS, It may be possible to push that to OpenEdge via an ODBC driver.

Posted by themochael on 07-Aug-2015 13:05

So are the ODBC drivers shipped with the OpenEdge Database?  I don't manage that environment, so I will have to make sure this is true.

Posted by Roberta Miller on 07-Aug-2015 13:54

The ODBC and JDBC drivers are shipped with the OpenEdge database. If you have a database license, you will also see a free download in the Download Center (ESD) named "SQL Client Access". This download contains ODBC and JDBC drivers for all the supported platforms. You can use this download if you need the drivers for a different platform than the one where you are running the database,

If you do need SQL Client Access, be sure to look out for the page that comes up in the Download Center just before you reach the page with the download links. It contains the serial numbers and control codes you will need to load the drivers on different platforms; they are not the same as the s/n and control codes for your database.

Posted by themochael on 14-Aug-2015 13:47

Is there a step by step guide to enabling ODBC drivers?  This has been punted to my group and I have never worked with progress db before.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 14-Aug-2015 15:05

Has the Progress side actually set up everything to support SQL connections? SQL isn't the default method of access for a Progress database. Once everything is set up on the Progress side configuring the DSN connections are similar to other databases (host, port, user,password).

The Progress DBA will have to be heavily involved in getting everything set up properly and maintained.

KB for getting started with SQL access knowledgebase.progress.com/.../20143

There are a quite a few things that need to happen before and after the steps in that KB to make sure it works properly. A few would be starting SQL brokers, gathering statistics and setting column widths.

Posted by themochael on 14-Aug-2015 15:12

I think we are in the early stages of discovery.  we just want to make sure the ODBC drivers are enabled.

Posted by Roberta Miller on 14-Aug-2015 16:06

You don't have to do anything special to enable the ODBC driver once the OpenEdge product is installed. You should see it in the Drivers tab of the ODBC Data Source Administrator. If you don't, make sure that you are looking in the right Administrator tool for the "bitness" of the driver; there are separate tools for 32-bit and 64-bit drivers, and neither one will show the other set of drivers. As mentioned in the previous post, the database does need to be set up for SQL access, and the article linked is a good tutorial.

This thread is closed