ODBC SQL Server Wire Protocol 7.0.1 and SSL encryption

Posted by choxer1 on 30-Jul-2015 13:55

Hi there. Long time listener, first time caller.

We're using the ODBC SQL Server Wire Protocol 7.0.1 driver/manager to connect SAS to SQL Server databases for ETL. Our database guys recently turned on SSL encryption and this buggered our connections. I'm trying to get the driver to "shake hands" using TLSv1 or higher, but monitoring shows that it keeps trying to use SSLv3 which is disabled. Am I out of luck with this version of the driver? The Linux server supports up to TLSv1.2, but I don't know enough about the innards of things to know if the driver's SSL methods are "self-contained" for lack of a better term.

I tried setting CryptoProtocolVersion = TLSv1 but this apparently isn't an option until 7.1.5. We're using the version that SAS sent us to enable bulkloading, and I'd like to stop my experimentation if it's impossible. I'll just see if I can find a more up to date version. I've tried to find version specific doc for the driver, but I keep being routed to current state.

Thanks very much for anything you're willing to educate me about.

Chris

Posted by Sumit Sarkar on 13-Aug-2015 11:54

If you have an immediate need, I recommend downloading a trial of our 7.1.5 driver for use with SAS/Access interface to ODBC and setting CryptoProtocolVersion=TLSv1 and EnableBulkLoad=1 which enables bulk load internally in the driver without having to set SAS BULKLOAD=YES.

All Replies

Posted by Sumit Sarkar on 13-Aug-2015 11:54

If you have an immediate need, I recommend downloading a trial of our 7.1.5 driver for use with SAS/Access interface to ODBC and setting CryptoProtocolVersion=TLSv1 and EnableBulkLoad=1 which enables bulk load internally in the driver without having to set SAS BULKLOAD=YES.

Posted by pwolmering on 13-Aug-2015 12:30

OK. How do I get that driver for Windows-64 and AIX-64?

Posted by choxer1 on 17-Aug-2015 14:31

Thanks Sumit. I did end up downloading the trial and then SAS sent me a version for testing as well. Solved our SSL problem, but created some SAS client app issues. But that is a story for another day and another line of support. Thanks very much for your time.

Chris

FYI, as for bulkloading, I don't think the BULKLOAD=YES option in SAS has ever worked for SQL Server connections. They advised us to use BulkLoadBatchSize= option in the odbc.ini file and have that value match what is in the SAS INSERTBUFF option. Our default is 3000 and that does speed things up considerably.

This thread is closed