Connect for ODBC Wkstn 1 7.1 133984 DD CNNT ODBC W - I cant

Posted by ProMeasure on 10-Oct-2014 10:02

For a while now (2weeks) I have been trying to connect to SFDC via ODBC driver from Progress. Error message is that password, user id, security token is wrong or user locked out... Have changed, passwords, security tokens, tried from different pc´s but I am not able to connect... Can someone tell me how to find out if I am locked out??? (can use my account on the SFDC application everyday) Can someone help with a possible solution or path forward as I am at a loss here... Thanks Best regards René

All Replies

Posted by Jeff Leinbach on 10-Oct-2014 10:09

Does your user have access to the API?  Your system administrator can grant you access.

www.salesforce.com/.../sforce_api_concepts_security.htm

User Profile and Permission Sets Configuration

An organization's Salesforce administrator controls the availability of various features and views by configuring profiles and permission sets, and assigning users to them. To access the API (to issue calls and receive the call results), a user must be granted the “API Enabled” permission. Client applications can query or update only those objects and fields to which they have access via the permissions of the logged-in user.

Posted by ProMeasure on 12-Oct-2014 06:47

Hi Jeff, Thank you for the answer, I have reviewed my permission sets and the are ok... What I do not understand is that I am logged in as sys.adm for my profile API enabled has a tick mark... I have changed password and Token - but no access...

Posted by ProMeasure on 14-Oct-2014 03:01

Thank you for suggesting solution to this...It turned out that the ODBC driver config in the ODBC administration should not follow the guides.

Instead of adding password and token as instructed in the security tab of the ODBC admin tool - this should be left blank and only once promted for the SFDC password - should you enter both password and token in this field ...

Who would have guessed??

Anyways problem solved thanks to the great master Julio Gutierrez @Cloudlab  

Posted by Jeff Leinbach on 20-Oct-2014 10:28

I'm glad that you were able to get connected.  You are correct.  The password should not be entered into the ODBC driver config in the ODBC administrator.  The security token by itself can be added there and the driver will append the value to the password that is entered to allow the application to login.  

Since storing the security token in the ODBC data source definition is not desirable for some customers, the driver also supports allowing the application to specify both the password and security token as part of the password connection option.

Please refer to the following documentation for more information.

media.datadirect.com/.../help.html

This thread is closed