On-Premise vs. On-Premises

Posted by eugenel on 28-May-2014 18:41

I like on-premise because it sounds better than on-premises. It, however, may not be correct grammatically in the following title (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/self-integration-premise-cloud-data-140000569.html):

Self-Service Integration of On-Premise and Cloud Data Made Easy with Progress Easyl

There is no such word on-premise in dictionary and premise has a total different meaning from premises. Below is copied from the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-premises_software:

On-premises software (sometimes abbreviated as "on-prem" software) is installed and run on computers on the premises (in the building) of the person or organisation using the software, rather than at a remote facility, such as at a server farm or cloud somewhere on the Internet. On-premises software is sometimes referred to as “shrinkwrap” software, and off-premises software is commonly called “software as a service” or “computing in the cloud”. Within the context of cloud computing, the term "on-premise" is incorrect grammatical English, yet has become common place particularly with some of the cloud software vendors.

What do you think?

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 14-Jun-2014 13:07

I agree with you that "on-premise" sounds better, and with the comment in Wikipedia that "the term 'on-premise'...has become common place.".    

However, I see the point that it really means "on the premises" --- i.e. there is no singular "premise".   I think it would be easier to go with the plural if it wasn't for the "double-S' sound).   I will start referring to the "Data Direct On-Premises Connector" :-)  

(Other similar words:  Scissors, Googles, Pants, Clothes, Shorts, Trousers, Shenanigans, Smithereens, Remains, Suds [1])

A fun comment!

Of course, there is also a singular "premise" (refering to an idea or proposition).  So your PREMISE that it is grammatically correct to refer to ON-PREMISES software is a good one.

---

[1] 11 Nouns That Have Only Plural Form, Mental Floss

This thread is closed