Comparing values within a collection

Posted by Anverion on 07-Feb-2020 17:55

Hello--

I have a task where I need to iterate through a collection to determine if an amount is a credit (negative) and then, compare elements within that collection to those amongst that collection to determine if:

We get a collection of earning file details. Within these details, we have the fields:

1. Detail_id
  2. Person_id
  3. Company_id
  4. Amount

I iterate though these records to see if there’s one with a credit (negative amount)

I label that record as a credit and now, I need to iterate through the rest of the records to see if the following is true:

1. Credit person_id matches non-credit person_id
  2. Credit company_id matches non-credit company_id
  3. Credit amount matches non-credit amount (*-1)

I think I’m over thinking this. Realistically, we could have one or more credits. So, for every credit, I would need to loop through the details to see if I can find a non-credit match.

Thank you,

Branden

All Replies

Posted by meijsberg on 10-Feb-2020 12:31

Hi Branden,

I am afraid that I do not understand your problem to give a clear solution. I will try, but I’m doing some assumption that might be incorrect. What I do notice is your technical approach to your solution (iteration, using ID’s).

Since you’re using a rule engine instead of a programming language, I suppose you can reduce some complexity by using the vocabulary more to its advantage.

Suppose you have two entities:

1. PersonCompany

-attribute: PersonId

-attribute: CompanyId

-relation: 1 to n to details

2. Details

-Amount

Then you could use a single rulesheet with the following scope

PersonCompany

- Credit (Details)

- - Amount

- NonCredit (Details)

- - Amount

Filter for Credit: Amount < 0

Fitler for NonCredit: Amount >= 0

What is left are the PersonCompany instances with both Credit and NonCredit Details. You can apply any action you want.

I hope this will help,

Regards,

Matthijs

This thread is closed