Corticon Server 5.7 as a Service & Permissions

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 15-May-2018 09:03

Hi Corticon community,

I installed Corticon Server 5.7 on Windows Server 2012r2 and registered it as a Windows Service, as the service needs to run without users logged in and can restart automatically after a reboot.

When running the service with a useraccount, that is member of a local Administrators group on the server (or start the service with the standard local system account), the Corticon Server Windows service has insufficient permissions to create or modify files like CcServer.log, ServerState.xml etc. Log-files like catalina.out, commons-daemon etc that are handled by Tomcat, are created and modified without a problem.

When I manually start Corticon Server (startServer.bin) as the user that is member of local Administrators on the Windows Server, the PAS-Corticon command line window shows that Access is Denied on the log-directory, even though the log-directory has full permissions set to the usergroup Administrators.

So even though a user is a member of an Administrator group with full permissions, the user does not have sufficient rights to write log-files or ServerState.xml. 

When manually starting Corticon Server as Administrator, all files like CcServer.log, ServerState.xml etc are accessible. But this is not a wanted situation, just like putting full acces rights for every user on the CorticonWork directory.

I put Run as Administrator privileges on tomact8.exe, tomcat8w.exe, with no luck as well.

Can anyone point to what we are missing here and how to get Corticon Server 5.7 running as a Windows Service, with sufficient privileges?

Thank you.

-Gertjan

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 12-Jun-2018 11:07

In the meantime resolved this issue myself. Somehow, the following bug had reappeared when installing Corticon Server 5.7.0.3 as a Windows Service:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Configuring-Windows-service-for-Corticon-PAS-Server-creates-CcServerSandbox-and-logs-directories-in-Corticon-Install-dir-Server-pas-bin-instead-of-CORTICON-WORK-DIR

After fixing this by forcing the CORTICON_WORK_DIR in Tomcat 8 to the correct directory, the problems had disappeared.

In the meantime I found out that services.bat contains an incorrect reference to Tomcat 7, where Tomcat 8 was introduced in Corticon Server 5.7.

I'll mark this question as Amswered,

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 13-Jun-2018 02:57

In the meantime I was able to fix this issue myself.

Somehow an old bug had reappeared in Corticon 5.7, when installing Corticon Server as a Windows service. This caused the ccServerSandbox directory to be installed in the Corticon installation directory (/Server/pas/bin to be precise):

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/Configuring-Windows-service-for-Corticon-PAS-Server-creates-CcServerSandbox-and-logs-directories-in-Corticon-Install-dir-Server-pas-bin-instead-of-CORTICON-WORK-DIR

It seems that this issue was caused due to the fact that services.bat in 5.7 incorrectly pointed to Tomcat 7, where Corticon 5.7 is based on Tomcat 8.

I added the -DCORTICON_WORK_DIR=C:\CorticonWork to the jvm.properties, fixing the issue.

-Gertjan

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 13-Jun-2018 02:58

Somehow an old bug had reappeared in Corticon 5.7, when installing Corticon Server as a Windows service. This caused the ccServerSandbox directory to be installed in the Corticon installation directory (/Server/pas/bin to be precise):

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/Configuring-Windows-service-for-Corticon-PAS-Server-creates-CcServerSandbox-and-logs-directories-in-Corticon-Install-dir-Server-pas-bin-instead-of-CORTICON-WORK-DIR

It seems that this issue was caused due to the fact that services.bat in 5.7 incorrectly pointed to Tomcat 7, where Corticon 5.7 is based on Tomcat 8.

I added the -DCORTICON_WORK_DIR=C:\CorticonWork to the jvm.properties, fixing the issue.

-Gertjan

All Replies

Posted by Harold-Jan Verlee on 15-May-2018 09:31

Just to clarify: did you follow the instructions set out in [View:https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/How-to-start-Corticon-Pacific-Application-Server-PAS-as-a-Windows-Service?q=pAS+priveliges&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1:320:50]

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 16-May-2018 01:26

Yes I followed those instructions. I created a copy of tomcat8w.exe as well and renamed it to "Corticon" (the name of the tcman service), in order to be able to set parameters for it.

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 12-Jun-2018 11:07

In the meantime resolved this issue myself. Somehow, the following bug had reappeared when installing Corticon Server 5.7.0.3 as a Windows Service:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Configuring-Windows-service-for-Corticon-PAS-Server-creates-CcServerSandbox-and-logs-directories-in-Corticon-Install-dir-Server-pas-bin-instead-of-CORTICON-WORK-DIR

After fixing this by forcing the CORTICON_WORK_DIR in Tomcat 8 to the correct directory, the problems had disappeared.

In the meantime I found out that services.bat contains an incorrect reference to Tomcat 7, where Tomcat 8 was introduced in Corticon Server 5.7.

I'll mark this question as Amswered,

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 13-Jun-2018 02:57

Somehow an old bug had reappeared in Corticon 5.7, when installing Corticon Server as a Windows service. This caused the ccServerSandbox directory to be installed in the Corticon installation directory (/Server/pas/bin to be precise):

It seems that this issue was caused due to the fact that services.bat in 5.7 incorrectly pointed to Tomcat 7, where Corticon 5.7 is based on Tomcat 8.

I added the -DCORTICON_WORK_DIR=C:\CorticonWork to the jvm.properties, fixing the issue.

-Gertjan

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 13-Jun-2018 02:58

Somehow an old bug had reappeared in Corticon 5.7, when installing Corticon Server as a Windows service. This caused the ccServerSandbox directory to be installed in the Corticon installation directory (/Server/pas/bin to be precise):

It seems that this issue was caused due to the fact that services.bat in 5.7 incorrectly pointed to Tomcat 7, where Corticon 5.7 is based on Tomcat 8.

I added the -DCORTICON_WORK_DIR=C:\CorticonWork to the jvm.properties, fixing the issue.

-Gertjan

This thread is closed