PermGen error when starting Corticon Server 5.7

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 08-May-2018 06:56

Hi,

I am experiencing PermGen errors when starting Corticon Server 5.7 for the first time, after initial installation. I fixed this by adding some extra parameters to the jvm.properties:

-XX:PermSize=512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

Has anyone else experienced this yet? If I am correct, the PermSize and MaxPermSize parameters were dropped from Corticon Server in past versions. Can anyone explain what is happening here?

Thanks,

Gertjan

Posted by Harold-Jan Verlee on 08-May-2018 07:05

PermSize and MaxPermSize where dropped as we no longer ship Corticon with Java 7. The Java 8 JVM, which is now included in the default install, no longer supports these settings. Please make sure your Corticon Server 5.7 instance refers to the correct Java run time.

All Replies

Posted by Harold-Jan Verlee on 08-May-2018 07:05

PermSize and MaxPermSize where dropped as we no longer ship Corticon with Java 7. The Java 8 JVM, which is now included in the default install, no longer supports these settings. Please make sure your Corticon Server 5.7 instance refers to the correct Java run time.

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 08-May-2018 07:21

As I installed the Windows Service for Corticon Server 5.7, I used an existing Java JDK (for JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME) which indeed appears to be Java 7. I'll update my JDK and see if the problem will disappear. Thanks Harold-Jan!

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 08-May-2018 07:53

Installing JDK8 indeed fixed the issue.

Corticon Server 5.7 uses it's own JRE (v 8), as long as no Environment Variable has been set on the (Windows) server platform it is running on. In my case, I had done so to register a previous Corticon Server installation as a Windows Service (requires JDK installed).

So installing and using Corticon Server 5.7, when using a server with JAVA_HOME and JAVA_HOME set to an older JDK7, requires to install JDK8 and re-map the JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME paths.

Posted by Harold-Jan Verlee on 08-May-2018 08:01

Thank you for your detailed feedback. You are correct on all fronts.

This thread is closed