Question about the Advanced options in New File (Studio)

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 06-Apr-2017 03:32

Hi all,

I was trying to find information about the <<< Advanced button, which is shown when you create a new file in Corticon Studio 5.6. Clicking this button brings up2 additional buttons Browse and Variables. With the former button I can select whatever file, the latter gives me the option to create variable settings :

I did not find any information yet (I might be looking in the wrong locations), so I was wondering: Can anyone explain what files I can link or what variable-settings I can use, and what the purpose can be for this in Corticon Studio?

Thank you,

Gertjan

Posted by Chris S. Hogan on 07-Apr-2017 01:23

The feature you are asking about is an Eclipse function for managing linked resources, which could enable shared resources to exist outside your Workspace. Since Corticon Studio is based on Eclipse, it inherits some functions that really have no context in rule modeling. This is one of those features.

You can read more about linked resources here.

help.eclipse.org/.../index.jsp

All Replies

Posted by Chris S. Hogan on 07-Apr-2017 01:23

The feature you are asking about is an Eclipse function for managing linked resources, which could enable shared resources to exist outside your Workspace. Since Corticon Studio is based on Eclipse, it inherits some functions that really have no context in rule modeling. This is one of those features.

You can read more about linked resources here.

help.eclipse.org/.../index.jsp

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 10-Apr-2017 02:05

Thanks Chris!

Posted by mcicel on 11-Apr-2017 21:29

Hi Gertjan,

This is an Eclipse platform (which the Studio is based on) feature. You can find a documentation for it in the Eclipse help under “Workbench User Guide > Concepts > Workbench > Linked resources”:

Linked resources
Linked resources are files and folders that are stored in locations in the file system outside of the project's location. These special resources can be used to add files and folders to your project that for some reason must be stored in a certain place outside of your project. For example, a linked folder can be used to store build output separately from your source files.
You can even use linked resources to overlap other resources in the workspace, so resources from one project can appear in another project. If you do want to have overlapping resources in your workspace, do so with caution. Keep in mind that this means changing a resource in one place will cause simultaneous changes in the duplicate resource. Deleting one duplicate resource will delete both!
Deleting a linked resource will not cause the corresponding resource in the file system to be deleted. However, deleting child resources of linked folders will cause them to be removed from the file system.
Linked resource target paths can be either defined as absolute paths, or relative to a path variable.
The linked resource target path can be changed by selecting the Edit... button in the File > Properties > Resource property page of the linked resource.
A list of all linked resources that exist in a project can be seen and edited from the File > Properties > Resource > Linked Resources property page, under the Linked Resources tab.
Some plug-ins built on top of the Eclipse platform are not compatible with linked resources. If this is the case, you can completely disable the linked resource feature to prevent them from being created in your workspace. Linked resources can be disabled from the command linkGeneral > Workspace > Linked Resources preference page. Certain types of projects or team repository providers may also disallow linked resources from being created in some projects.

Marian

Posted by gsaintma on 11-Apr-2017 21:29

where it states: Note: The Advanced options are not relevant to Corticon and should not be used.

Posted by James Arsenault on 11-Apr-2017 21:29

Gertjan,

The advanced options are standard Eclipse fare. For the most part we don’t document general eclipse capabilities.  In eclipse, linking to files allows you to have a file in a project that resides elsewhere in the filesystem. Corticon doesn’t support this; it can lead to problems. The variables is somewhat similar, it allows you to define a variable such as “MY_FOLDER” and reference files relative to it. Again, it can lead to problems. For Corticon the best practice is to have the assets in the project folder.

Jim

Posted by Gertjan Hendriks on 12-Apr-2017 01:15

Thanks Marian, Jim and gsaintsma!

This thread is closed